Sunday, May 21, 2006

I atop a castle and Munster on top of Europe

It was a gruelling week, putting down 72 hours and being constantly run off my feet. Two of the bio team staff were gone to Hawaii to compete in a Triathlon (congrats girls, great times too) so it was left to muggins here to hold the fort. As the team leader and vice-team leaders were gone, I was Lord of the Bio-team for the week and I had to answer every call, request, and demand. Ordinarily, having a full complete of team members would have made the job easier, but having two gone was certainly a big loss. However, it was a good experience and I learned an awful lot in the process. After all, that is the point of working here, to learn and gain the experience.

Saturday morning was glorious so I set off to Himeji where I was supposed to attend a Matsuri festival, and meet one of the guys from work who's from there. The city is about 80 minutes from Osaka on a special rapid regional train. I was about 10 minutes outside Kobe when Maeda-san called me to say the event was cancelled due to threat of thunder storms. I was pissed off but decided to go anyway and see the castle and japanese gardens there. I met Maeda-san, a professor from Osaka uni, now working as a translator at the firm. A nice man in his early 60's, very knowledgable and capable of having a laugh. I spent the next 4 hours or so walking around the castle and gardens. It was pretty cool and the castle is the best I've seen so far in Japan. It is a World Heritage Site and I must say it was very beautiful. I think it featured in one of the modern day Bond films, possibly one of the Brosnan films. The reason the castle is still standing and survived WWII was that the Americans used it as a landmark to make a turn and head west to Hiroshima and Nagaskai. Grim really.

However, despite the fact that when I arrived in Himeji the sky was threatening, it turned out to be a glorious day with beautiful sunshine and a clear skies. The humidity is begining to start and it was uncomfortable at times. The five floor climb to the top of the castle tough and everyone who was at the top floor was sweating and giving out about the heat. The Japanese are like the Irish in that respect. When it's too cold, they'll complain. When it's too hot, they'll complain. When it's just perfect (in my book) they'll complain that's not warm enough. Wonderful consistency.

The highlight of my week had to have been the boys in red, finally getting their hands on the European Cup. Alas I couldn't watch the game as i couldn't locate a bar that was showing it. However, I read the match reports with glee and followed the score the net last night. It only dawned on me then this morning that I could have been listening to it live on Radio 1...what a twat. Anyhow, if anyone would like to burn a dvd of the game for me, I'd be most delighted and forever indebted to you!!!! Man-of-the-match performance to the smallest man on the pitch and a brilliant individual try to that man, Peter Stringer. A legend and a player coming into his own now. He doesn't appear to be as slow and predictable as he used to be. A good omen for the Irish team too. Hopefully they can do the job in NZ and Oz this summer.

Not much else to report fans. A bit of a bbq on Saturday night with the lads and a new team bio member who starts work tomorrow. No birding for me this weekend. A bit of a rest was needed this morning. I need a holiday....

Carmo's Diet: this week, I have mostly been eating nato and broiled eel

Carmo's Birds: Narcissus Flycatcher, that's about it.

Carmo's Birds for Byrdy: that chick from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which one From CTHD?Michelle Yeoh or Zhang Ziyi?

Both?

I agree!

May 22, 2006 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw...do you need Gull Billed Tern?;)

May 22, 2006 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't rub it in that u didn't see the game but I was there!! Got a free ticket on the day absolutely superb!! 75,000 fans roof closed it was a home game!! A great day! Stringer was immense as was the bull Hayes who had a great game. Amazing atmosphere not enough words to describe. On a big plus Paddy Casey Sang before kick off which I missed thank God!! Someone should just put him out of misery putting a stop to the misery he enflicts on us!

May 22, 2006 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologise for my slightly out of tune grammar but I am still feeling the effects of the weekend and am struggling through work as I type

May 22, 2006 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey babe,

probably best you werent in cork for the match. I'd say the mayor himself would ban me from cork if could after saturday's performance....

May 23, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Pariah, Zhang Ziyi. Nice. And yes, Gull-billed tern is needed for my Irish list.

Pabs, you luck dog! THe old man will be mad jealous. Must have been something else. Mum said you met Rose and Greg, or something like that. Glad to see you still hold the gra for P Casey! I got prices of iPods for you on Sunday so will email them on to you. Maybe we could come to some arrangement...

Cilla honey, got home too late last night to skype. maybe tonight when I catch up on emails...but defo this week, it's been ages

May 23, 2006 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I promise to call you soon ...we need a catch up..I have been on another planet for the past couple of weeks...but looking forward to a chat....

talk soon,

luv g
xx

May 26, 2006 2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seasiders back on track, beat tital rivals villa utd last night up in fairhill 3-1, got the third goal even though it had a nice deflection off a midfielder, we need 4 points from 3 games so we've a great chance, a win or draw on sunday morning in coachford will set us up for claiming back the cup at home on sat of the bank holiday, will post some pix, alls good besides, no sign of birds, think they're all staying indoors with the rain although good worming weather i spose, billy should be a dad by next week, will let ya know, no other news, have a good weak end !!

May 26, 2006 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morientes has gone from the Pool!!

May 26, 2006 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you should know that a moment of silence was last night held in the soon to be opened new roundy for Mark "Carmo" Carmody, to whom 'up the walls' meant freedom of the soul,it was never a question of who was going to stop him,but when he was going to stop himself.

LONG MAY YOU RUN OLD MAN,
P

May 27, 2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

g, will be on to you soon, see what all the fuss is about.

leurve, legend on more or less clinching the title, fair play on bagging the third...keep the stats healthy. Trish looking good on de blog. still no deals on de cameras fella

Pabs, bound to happen with him gettin dropped from the Spanish squad

Pee, I shed a tear after reading that, nice to know I'm being thought of as the best bar in town is about to be opened...I'm thinking of coming home to work for you, Frank and Joan!!! I guess i have stopped myself...for now. Miss you all!!!!

May 27, 2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin, coach factory outlet, air max, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, nike shoes, coach outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags

November 14, 2014 9:25 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home