Monday, March 31, 2008

Sayonara Nippon

This will probably be the last post I make from Japan as I lose my internet connection at midnight tonight. Today was my final day at work and it was a roller coaster of emotions. I felt happy and sad to leave. Happy because I know I will see my family soon yet sad knowing that I leave behind many friends and colleagues who have made the last 3 years a wonderful experience for me. I will miss the times I had at work, no matter how bad they may have been at times, it was an amazing experience that few will have in the same field back home. I owe a great deal of gratitude to those people...the kind words and generous plaudits given to me today were overwhelming at times and the gifts and tokens from my Japanese colleagues were unexpected and touching to say the least. I will treasure them.

Of course my partner in crime PJ and the gang members of the Daito Dogs (SW, GA) will be sorely, sorely missed.

I spent Saturday morning with Kazu and his friend Kuwa-san. Kazu has been there throughout my 3 years here and was a great and kind friend. We spent many a long hour walking the river banks and parks of Osaka and beyond enjoying the birding and photography and the chats. I was also touched by the many emails his friends sent to wish me luck in the future. Some amazing people. I will miss birding with Kazu...I hope I can repay the debt and go birding with him in Ireland. Kazu, thank you.

Tonight/tomorrow I go on a final trip with Neil. For the last 3 years he has been the saving grace on those Sundays when I needed to get away from it all and the birding trips to Hegura-jima, Kyushu, Nagoya-Tomakomai on the ferry (twice), and basically all over Kansai and beyond...thank you. Also, to Rob for the mindblowing trip to Hokkaido in Feb 06 and Sean for the amazing trip to MIshima-jima in Spring 2006, as well as Hiroshima for the Saunder's Gull, and many more trips besides...thank you.

My next post will be from the fair isle of saints and scholars...until then, sayonara Nippon

Carmo's Diet: this week, I have mostly been eating breakfast bars

Carmo's Birds: Swallow, KP, LRP, Grey Plover, Common Gull

Carmo's Birds for Byrdy: No. 6 (again)

16 Comments:

Blogger swan_pr said...

have a safe trip home Doctor. I hope you'll keep on writing :)

March 31, 2008 11:05 PM  
Blogger Minnsy said...

Congrats on being an uncle!

Hope all goes well back in the Emerald Isle and with the new job there too.

Glad to have been able to bird with you in Japan. Thanks for finding and sharing some great birds on our travels in Japan.

I am sure you will be back in Nippon for more one day.

Maybe I'll catch up with you again one day and I hope to hear of some of the good birds you are gonna find and more importantly photograph...and oh yes keep on blogging!

All the best

March 31, 2008 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get back over here and find a hoopoe ya big dope!

April 01, 2008 6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rollercoaster of emotions is only taking off fella.Soon we will meet on this distant shore,i've seen my baler,its all waiting for you.Cant wait to see you dude.

April 03, 2008 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sniff !

April 04, 2008 9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck, carmo

April 06, 2008 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sad blog. Seems you had three fun years in Nippon.

I wish you a hundred more years of fun and double happiness!

Hienmango

April 12, 2008 10:46 AM  
Blogger Stuart Price said...

Good luck in Ireland............

Hope you keep up the blog if you can avoid the distractions of decent pubs/TV you can understand 100% of everything said/footie at civilized hours/regular access to geniune friends.............

April 16, 2008 7:04 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

thanks to all for the comments and kind words. I shall post a new blog on my first 2 weeks in Ireland at some stage tonight...keep tuned (it will be a riotous tale of how bananas this country, Ireland, has arrived at).

April 19, 2008 3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

April 19, 2008 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look forward to reading more :)

May 02, 2008 5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

January 09, 2010 6:52 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 10:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

201510.27dongdong
cheap ugg boots
ray-ban sunglasses,ray ban sunglasses,ray bans,rayban,ray ban wayfarer,raybans,ray ban glasses,ray ban aviators,ray ban clubmaster,ray ban eyeglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans sunglasses,ray ban aviator,ray bands,fake ray bans,ray ban prescription glasses,ray ban outlet,ray ban canada,ray ban sunglasses sale,ray ban sale
hermes outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
michael kors bags
jordan shoes
Coach Diaper Bag Outlet
football jerseys cheap
Canada Goose Outlet,Canada Goose Outlet Online,Canada Goose Clearance
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
Official Coach Online Factory Sale
Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote Bag
New Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Online
toms outlet
Cheap Ray Ban Wayfarer
ugg outlet
hollister clothing
Outlet Michael Kors Sale Online
canada goose jackets
michael kors uk
Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Sale
michael kors outlet
michale kors outlet
Jordan Concords Low And High
mihchael kors bag
nike football,airmax,nike free 3.0,nike air huarache,nike womens shoes,nike free run womens
Louis Vuitton Purses For Cheap
canada goose jackets
Abercrombie and Fitch Store
Louis Vuitton Canada Official Site
Abercrombie and Fitch Women's Clothing
Montblanc Pen Refills Outlet
authentic louis vuitton handbags

October 27, 2015 7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www.2016nikeairhuaraches.com
Huaraches Nike
christian louboutin 2016
christian louboutin sale
Air Jordan 11 Retro 72 10
jordan 11 legend blue
Jordan 5 fire red
Jordan Retro 8 Concord
coach outlet online coach factory outlet
coach outlet stores
kate spade surprise sale
kate spade purses
michael kors outlet
michael kors bags
Michael Kors Christmas
Michael Kors Outlet Store
michael kors handbags on sale
Michael Kors Factory Outlet
michael kors purses
michael kors outlets
macys michael kors
Michael Kors Outlet Online Store
jordan shoes
jordan retro 7
Nike Air Foamposite 1
lebron james shoes
nike air max 95
nike air max 1
nike store

March 29, 2016 1:55 PM  
Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.8.14
nike shoes
coach outlet
ray ban sunglasses
ecco shoes
salomom shoes
golden goose shoes
ugg boots
valentino
coach outlet online
nike huarache femme

August 14, 2018 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home