Monday, June 20, 2005

My first TREMOR!!!!!

What can I say? It took a couple of months but....

after a quiet and somewhat uneventful past week, I experienced my first TREMOR today while sitting at my desk at work!!! I thought it was someone who walked behind me but I looked at Keni and he had a look of shock on his face....a tremor! I was delighted, being the sort of person I am, but the others were not too impressed. The Japanese staff didn't even budge but all the Gaijins just looked up from their desks, looking around at one another with a look of trepidation. To be honest I thought it was pretty cool but it could be worse so I shouldn't be so flippant about it. I guess it would not be pleasant it a real one hit. There was a big one off Calfornia last week with a tsunami warning for the west coast of the US (how real that threat was who knows, you know the way Americans are, always wanting to be the first, to be prepared for everything, inevitably causing more mayhem than was there in the first place....sorry Sara!!!) so....who can tell....

There are regular tremors further north and there was a decent strenght 'quake near Tokyo a month ago. We were warned to keep an earthquake emergency kit at home and to have a procedure practised should such an occasion arise. I must do that this week....just in case

I'll keep you updated if more arise...cool...

Later

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A tremor, jesus i would have got on a plane and came home asap, but then again i wont even go to australia for the huntsmans. I wrote you your letter, was slightly hung over so forgive the uneligble writing and basic talking crap, i'll write a better one soon promise. Take care and i'll speak to you soon.
cilla xox

June 21, 2005 12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
mark
for god sake be a little concerned, we do want to see you in one piece again sometime in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maryxxxxxxxxxx

June 21, 2005 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds scary but if the locals did'nt bat an eyelid hmmmmmmmmmmmm
what does that tell you????
any reports in the newspapers??

June 21, 2005 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that it was nothin!! Still though, it's a very strange feeling, quite surreal! All in all, would hate to be caught in a big one....

Cilla, I got your letter y'day!!! Thank you so much. Finished the crossword last night so I'll send it back to you! I'll email you tomorrow...you're the best Kotey!

M xx

June 22, 2005 12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey fella! glad to hear ye were the coolest gaijin in the palce with your macho "quakes are cool" outlook - mebbe it was just Godzilla walking down the main street?

good to hear your haircuts aren't any better than the chewings you were getting in cork! did you get a free pair of jocks with the latest one?

June 23, 2005 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carmo,
F*cking hell, an earthquake! If it was me, I'd be on the first plane home, but then I'm not exactly known for my bravery!
It was never just the Pig and Lynchy having a ruck in the street, was it?
Weather was great all over UK during the week...except for NW Scotland...guess where I was?
H

June 24, 2005 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew you'd finish it, ragin

June 25, 2005 12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats the crack carmo ?? Have resorted to checking your website due to harsh lack of email contact.All good here in Gawkland.City was rocked by no fewer than two tornados yesterday,would like to say we were out surfing the storm waves but we stayed in and got flaked in the old fashioned way instead.
Going to see Interpol in 2 weeks,and headed down to Taranaki next weekend of more surfing / snow boarding.Email me soon you old demon and let me know how it goes.

LONG MAY YOU RUN !!!!!
PW

June 26, 2005 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey fella - good talking to ya today - but some bad news from cobh this evening where denis struck with a fine laughing gull, for all of five minutes! He was filming it but it flew orf when he put his camera away and hasn't been seen since!

June 27, 2005 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark who is cilla ?

July 03, 2005 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark who is Cilla?

July 03, 2005 10:21 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

B!!! good to hear from you!!! Cilla is a friend of mine who is living in Dublin now...you're mad, aren't ya Cilla?? Anyway, things not too bad here, rainy season kicking in now so it's dull and grey all the time...working hard but no birding being done. Might start getting out now if it stays this cool, it's been too hot and humid to move lately. Uncomfortable in a suit.

Email me with news!! Hi to Michael for me,

July 03, 2005 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

louis vuitton louis vuitton outlet in nj louis vuitton louis vuitton outlet in northern california louis vuitton outlet Hermes Bags louis vuitton outlet in ny

June 01, 2013 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home