Monday, September 26, 2005

Hips and Makers

Well after a sleepless night last night I had to go to the doctor today to get my back/unmovable leg seen to. The pain was unbearable and I couldn't get to sleep with it despite taking copious amounts of painkillers. In I went to see Dr. Wada, a friendly ol' fella who knows the boss very well...a story he tells to all the foreign staff who visit him. His reputation as a doctor has always been mocked and ridiculed by the foreign staff who go to him and after today, although i won't be joining the ranks of those how mock and ridicule him, I wonder about his medical prowess....but I do think he's a grand gentle fella with good enough english to get by. He called me Mark-san, thinking that that was my family name but when I said it was Carmody he was mortified and apologised profusely. Such a strange thing this Japanese formality. I'm known as Mark-san at work mainly because they can't pronounce my surname.

Anyway, I digress. His office/"medical centre" is small and situated on the 21st floor of a nearby building in OBP. I told him what was wrong (for those who don't know you haven't been reading my blog but here's a run down anyway (all those who know, skip the next 20 pages): pain across my middle back at night, pain coming from my lower back down my right leg and around the groin on my right-hand side, unable to either walk properly or run a step and an inability to raise my right leg at times. When in bed, trying to sleep, I can't use my right leg to move my body and have to struggle to get up on all fours to enable to turn over...Guero, if you read this tell me what it is!!). He took some x-rays of my lower back and hips. Less than 5 minutes later, I was called back into his office where he had the x-rays in hand. He asked me did I play alot of sport when I was younger as my spine was in great shape, very strong and the "architecture" looked superb...I think the translation of "architecture" from Japanese to English may be something entirely different. Anyway, I lay down on the table and he checked the movement of my legs and hips and then slapped my thigh and exclaimed, in his best Osakan accent, "I have it!!"....Hip Gout....now I have Hip Gout. How is it, particularly in someone as young as me, and particularly in the hip(!) do I get gout? He first thought it might have been a bone disease but because of the x-rays and by the lack of leg mobility, he knows it's a nerve disease (they use disease to mean ailment or condition), so gout it is. BUT GOUT IS NOT A NERVE DISEASE!!!!!!! Jeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!! It's a deposition of sodium urate crystals in the joints...it's a form of arthritis for !#@% sake!!! Oh, the frustration...oh the desire for some perscribed painkillers!!!!! I just wanted to scream....

Instead, I just nodded and said thank you. He told me to give up the booze (not a bad thing I guess), coffee (not good) and eat more veggies and fruit which I can do. He gave me anti-inflammatories ("from Ciba-Geigy, the very best, no side effects") and vitamin B1 ("very good brand, no side effects") tablets. If the pain doesn't go away in 10 days I am to go back to him and he'll organize a CT or MRI scan. I think I'll go back for the scans. Not being able to lift my right leg is not only comical to see but it's damn painful. An ol' painkilling injection I thought would have been nice. What was once diagnosed as a sciatic problem has now mutated to a bout of gout...

However, the one thing which I want to point out, apart from the bad medical analysis, is the speed of the service. All that took less than 30 minutes!! And all it cost me was 12yoyos for the drugs...at least my 100yoyo monthly health insurance is paying for something!!

There you go....*sigh*

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds nasty there Carmo-san.
believe it or not i would think that a bit more flexibility would help you out.
If you can (or are willing) get yourself into a good Karate or ninjutsu dojo (shorin ryu karate would suit you...dont do shotokan it will make things worse)and explain to them what you have goin on and that you want to improve your general health.They should tailor a regime for you.When i suffered back pain myself i used a pull up bar and hung upside down from it.allowing your back to stretch out and relax.Good for posture and alignment.Follow this up with an hours focused ninjutsu meditation.Believe it or not i can usually cut my healing time in half doing this.(dislocated joints,sprains etc).mail me if you want more info.

September 27, 2005 12:27 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

cheers owen, will be on to you about that....that langer is a langer isn't he? Another greenish...pah!!!!!

September 27, 2005 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmo-san,the young apprentice laughs heartily at the term 'gout'.Sounds like one of those old diseases that died out with the mullet and drainpipe trousers.My advice,your getting old man,just wipe it out,get flaked and enjoy the ride.But,admittedly the grasshopper is young and foolish.

Approximately 6 weeks to samoa,have been "clean" for about 2 weeks now but shithouse onshore winds covering the entire north island have prevented any serious surf practice.Still though,approaching the day with renewed vigour (a mere 4 snoozes before rising) has its benefits.

Deccie,your talk of christmas in yon ravey brings a tear to my eye.See you there in 2006

September 27, 2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Leurve, I reckon it's the ol' sciatica meself which means put up with it and stay off the booze. I reckon a bit of yoga could be good and plenty of stretching. It's not pleasant as you well know! Have been keeping an eye on your blog, great shot of Davey Torch!! Good to see he hasn't changed much in the last 5 months!! Proabaly not home for the chocolates and guinness...def 2006

so pee, then we can all meet up in da Raven and get merry. Whahoooo!!! I knew you'd see the funny side of the gout diagnosis!! Langer..."dry" for 2 weeks?? TRY 5 MONTHS!!!! You must in terrible pain young man. Off to Hirsohima in the morning on the bullet train...can't wait. Hope the preparations for Samoa are coming along swimmingly...

September 27, 2005 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey fella - just getting back to ye after brighton - nicely chilled weekend - nae burds like (except 1 nuthatch - whoop!).

Cronin on cape till praps satday he reckons - he's bound to get summat else good!

September 28, 2005 2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I poxed cape with the unholy satanic curse of the bird free wasteland.....but i think it back fired and landed on galley.......

Pariah

September 28, 2005 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stage is set!Secret spot close Taupo Bay,Northland,Saturday afternoon.4-5ft and offshore."The Fighting Irish" surf team ( Jer,Mikky,Eo Man,Marty,and the Gaffer) are taking on "The California Dreamers" ( 5 friends of the yank chick mikky is boning) in a no holds barred surf off.I've drawn some pretty boy called Luke in my heat,if i cant outsurf him,i reckon i'll just run over him.

As for being clean,it is no longer as painful as it was,but i dont think i will be able to perform to my usual standard unless utterly bent out of shape,and seeing as there are 5 tickets to see Fat Freddys Drop play auckland at stake,i think i'll take one for the team.Sacfrices have to e made i guess.I'm doing it for the Irish everywhere..

Now that i've justified that to a message board full of strangers i feel much better.

September 29, 2005 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carmo,
Now 2 Blackpolls, 2 REVs, 1 Bobolink and 1 possible Hermit Thrush in the UK, with birds to the N and to the S of us, but, except for a brief REV seen by a visiting Brit on remote Inishbofin on Mon-Tue, we've had nothing here, except plenty of Lesser legs! Galling!
H

September 30, 2005 9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lorraine says hello, and AR says wh gives a shit. I myself am concerned for your well being. The cat, Realta, says hi too.

October 01, 2005 6:10 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Hello folks, thank you for your kind sentiments, except for AR who's just a langer anyway.

Steo, it was brilliant listening and chatting to you last week on your radio show. Good fun was had by all. Gout and all. Say hi to Chris for me and I hope she's pain-free now.

C, I'll be on to you later biy!!

Pariah, what can I say, it just ain't happening my man.

Pee, go on my son!!! Get out there and kick those yankee asses. Take one for the team, Fat Freddy's Drop are worth it...class act.

LONG MAY YE RUN!!!

October 02, 2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin, coach factory outlet, air max, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, nike shoes, coach outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags

November 14, 2014 9:23 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home