Saturday, October 14, 2006

Losing my mind

The last couple of weeks since I last posted have been pretty hectic, crazy and mind-numbing. A persistent chest-infection and head cold, which is finally abating now, had me feeling like death warmed up, and a 70 hour work week the week before, kept my strength down. Last weekend was quiet, a bit of birding but nothing new or unusual of note. A scope view of Redshank, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank and Black-tailed Godwit made me feel like I was back home, but for only a second or two. The arrival of 5 Marsh Sandpipers into view brought me back down to earth with a bang. It was nice while it lasted. I am looking forward to coming home this Christmas. It will be the bones of 2 years since I last stepped on the hallowed turf of Ireland. It is going to be a good day....

This week was just as bad as regards work, we are very busy with some high profile cases due yesterday, of which I am involved in one. It's exciting, frustrating and amazing work to be involved in. Although I have my work face on (those who know, will know what I mean...basically, I look like I could kill someone if they spoke to me) I am relishing the challenge.

Some interesting tidbits of late, a great night out to see Giles Peterson at Club Noon was superb, a train full of unicyclists was unnerving and surreal, young folk randomly dancing in unison on the street corners of Umeda, some beautiful buildings in good light for a change, a trip to see Match Point with my friend Seiko was excellent ("the wind that shakes the barley" or moves the barley arrives in next month....excellent), Seiko and another friend of mine quit work which made me sad, screaming people atop a float moving through my neighborhood at 9am this morning, banging drums and playing whistles was not good, the opening of a 280yen bar near me gaff is very good, hearing about all the amazing birds from America dropping on the shores of my homeland was not good to hear, knowing that the boys have twitched them makes it even worse (LANGERS), finding a Western Sanpiper in Osaka was great, dipping on Temminck's Stint was not good; watching a Peregrine Falcon soar around buildings from 15 floors up was cool.

I believe that rumors are begining to spread through the land that I am going to stay here to take up Sumo wrestling I would like to rubbish. Although some people think that the guy in the yellow t-shirt is me, the blurry image just could not be me.

Another weekend ahead, not much planned, a bit of R&R and some movie watching, maybe editing some photos, are in order. I need a break. On that note my good readers, I shall leave you to your own devices and I am going to make a cup of tea...more photos have been posted up on Flikr page (see links to the left)

Carmo's Diet: This week, I have mostl been eating dates stuffed with almonds, all the way from Dubai

Carmo's Birds: WESTERN SANDPIPER; Marsh Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Greenshank, Sooty Flycatcher, Streaked Flycatcher.

Carmo's Birds for Byrdy: Scarlet Johansen

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oi fatty - only 5 behind ya biy!! whatcha gonna do?

October 17, 2006 3:16 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

Do i get to call you guys lowlisters now that im over 300?Im not too sure what the cut off point for this is?;)

October 17, 2006 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can call us what you like mate but we know de truth!! can you really be over 300 with wood duck on yer list??

fella - de langer just found a little bunt on cape so he's 298 now!

October 18, 2006 12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah fella - thats 250 for cork - low listing tart that I am!! what is your cork list on again? just askin like!

October 18, 2006 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Owen,
Sure it's all relative, we're all low listers to Denis!
Still only had one Irish tick meself this month, mind, but happy with the month so far....
H

October 18, 2006 3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a Sparrowhawk in garden to-day, he was sitting on the clothes line,thought I was seeing things!!!!!!!!

October 18, 2006 4:06 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

Ah ah ah. When they are forced to accept the baikal then were will that argument be? Accept em all or none!
All quacks be innocent till proven guilty i say!;)

Fair play to H for digging out a mega!Keep it up ye jammy feen ye!

October 18, 2006 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Owen,
There's a big difference between a Baikal Teal which turned up in the same winter as a 1st-winter which was shot in Denmark and proven to be wild based on isotope analysis on the one hand, and a rather suspect Wooden Duck which was, I believe, paired with a female Mallard at one stage, on the other....
Still, whatever turns you on! I didn't even bother going to see the latter while I was in Belfast looking at the 'Oddwan's Gull'...manky piece of shite (the duck, that is)!
Carmo: Col is now 4 behind you!
H

October 18, 2006 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alriight fella you should send the sumo pic into your friends at Mens Health give them a good laugh around the office!

October 18, 2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

Well theres a change of tune Harry...you didnt bother going for the Baikal!!:D
You had zero faith in it!
In fact at one point you cast doubt on all 3 quacks.
If one is genuine they all are.
If everyone ticks mandarin then no one has a leg to stand on!

October 19, 2006 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think that the Baikal may have been bollix, but am man enough to admit that the findings with regard to the Danish individual put the NI bird in a new light. Still doesn't prompt any regrets: IF this is accepted, I am sure that there will be others, and if it isn't, will there ever be an acceptable bird?
A policy of 'If one is genuine they all are' doesn't really hold much water, as they all come from different areas and/ or have different migration strategies. I STILL choose to cast doubt on ALL three ducks, even the Barrow's Goldeneye, which I saw: it's not on my list, and may not make the grade even if the NIBARC accept it....
Oh, and regarding Mandarin: I would gladly strike that tame ornamental piece of shite (albeit an attractive piece of shite) from my list if others did so, and may even do so at some future date myself. Reducing one's list in such a manner will become the new cool thing, mark my words!
Of course, you can tick anything you want to...it's not as if you need my permission to do so or anything....
H

October 19, 2006 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure i saw mandarin at Timoleague with an aylesbury duck - can I have both of them then? Huzzah - only 2 behind ya carmo!!

October 19, 2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

dear god you are all losing it...quack quack quack.

Pabs, already sent in the pic and they are flying out my new fitness instructor tomorrow...she's supposed to be quite the doll....

M, nice one on the sprog...sparrowhawk that is (jesus if it was a sprog I'd be speechless). Any photos???

Col, good talking to you tonight, only 4 behind me now...need a Laugher or Franklins at Christmas to tide me over

H, big congrats on the Izzy...superb find.

Pariah, you can call me low-lister if you like, but over 90% of my ticks are in Cork biy!!!

October 19, 2006 12:55 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

Uh huh? removing stuff from your list the cool thing. Im channeling my best john wayne when i say thatl be the day!And i DO tick anything i like.

Carmo...i have only a mere 81% of my list in Cork. i bow before your 90%.
However 90% of 273 is 246.
My cork list now stands at 244. ;)
Wont be long now......

October 19, 2006 1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lads, lads,
Let's not fight over Cork lists, sure mine is higher than Carmo's Irish list, though he has seen a few nice birds that I am unlikely to get in the county in a hurry, like Woodlark.
Denis is now on 351 for Cork, which puts our efforts into perspective...I'd be happy with that for IRELAND!
H

October 19, 2006 1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

Given the horrendous weather we have been having I seriously doubt the veracity of any of these sightings! I reckon they are just trying to wind you up.

Good luck with the Sumo training, that 280 yen bar should help beef you up. We'll be watching for you on sky sports.

My pics are due to arrive tomorrow, we'll have to compare Golden Temples.

October 19, 2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

Yeah but MB...you may be missing the point...which is that its working!!:D

October 19, 2006 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what interesting insights.....
anyway, mark i have gone to the dark side and opened a bebo page (I know) and you better post up a comment or something so i look kind of popular. Plus you can check out my hot mates...

October 20, 2006 5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what can i say fella - you were missed!! 3 off de pace now biy! talk to ya soon!

October 21, 2006 3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tequila + Staff night out = Can't Remember!!

October 21, 2006 11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude,
sorry for lack of contact,been awfully busy.sent you a mail the other day.Hope all is good.

P

October 24, 2006 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off on hols from today for a week. Heading to Cork for the Jazz, ROLL ON THE SESSION!!!

October 25, 2006 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mark, enjoying reading blog..photos look fab. keep well .. looking forward to seeing you in Dec.!!Breda & Michael

October 25, 2006 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jazz is landing . . .

October 26, 2006 7:03 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

to one and all, thank you for popping in. I am sure those of you in Cork this weekend will be enjoying the jazz immensely. Breda and Michael, good to see you dropped by...

new post now

M

October 27, 2006 12:06 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home