Sunday, March 04, 2007

My love/hate relationship with Apple...and why I now look more like my Dad

Hello to one and all, it's been a while so I am sure you are starved of your weekly rundown by yours truly. So, to ease the pain, I have found some time to finally post. If you are wondering about the title, as I am sure you are, once again my iPod decided to take on a life of its own and do its best to really piss me off. Those of you who know me well will be well aware of my allergy to speaking to people for the first couple of hours of waking in the morning. Can you imagine my absolute horror and immediate vein-bursting rage that ensued when I discovered upon turning on my iPod that the SOB had deleted all my tunes, photos and backed-up backed-up files!!! As I was out the door and heading to catch the train to work, I did not have time to go back and reload the beast. Instead, I had to force upon my confused and dazed mind, the noise of the morning rush hour...not pleasant. Two days later, after resetting the Pod and reloading de tunes, the FSOB did it again!!! Enraged and ready to push any annoying pavement cycling local off their bikes if they rang their bell at me again to get out of their way as they careened past me on the pavement, I took the Pod to Apple store in Shinsaibashi that night after work. While at this time of night (9.30pm) my mind was saturated and not wanting to deal with anything irritating, I managed to keep my cool and negotiate in a very calm, persuasive, and in, which is what shocked me, such an eloquent manner, the replacement of my iPod...for the 4th time!!! I was hating Apple right there. Yes folks, this was my 4th iPod in less than a year...hence my frustration. However, what I was most proud of was getting the store to honor a verbal agreement I had with the Manager which was if my iPod broke down again, I would get the latest generation iPod as a replacement. They conceeded to this verbal agreement in the end. Nice wan I thought when i walked out the door and headed on my hour long journey home.

About a week or so later I received a phone call from Apple store saying my replacement, the latest gen iPod was in. After having convinced my self that I would get a 30GB ivideo generation iPod to replace my 60GB iPhoto iPod, when they produced an 80GB iPod I was dumbfounded!!! I didn't particularly care if I was getting a 30GB as that is all I require to be honest. However, I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I appreciatively accepted the generousity of Apple and walked out the door a happy man. I love Apple.

Apart from that drama, the slog that is work at the moment...sorry, that is always work (boring topic I know but such has my life from Mon-Fri become), and the general malaise that comes with not knowing what day one has until someone realizes at 10pm on Friday night while sitting at our desks that it is, indeed, Friday. With that it's off to 280yen for some beers and soy beans (yes Master Daly, I even eat the beans that provide the milk for my latte that you so love to make). i've been out birding a bit at the weekends lately trying to notch up my 300th species for Japan. After today's mad twitch with Neil, I am on 299...only one to go. More on that later when I post a birdy blog towards the end of the week, which will probably mean the weekend.

Anyway, did anyone see the lunar eclipse last night (Sat March 3)?? Although Europe was supposed to get the full show, us mere mortals in Nippon only saw a fraction of the spectacle. It was however, quite cool to see the moon glowing red as it was sinking in to the Inland Sea of Japan, from the north east corner of Shikoku. Pretty damn impressive. I also visiting Mt. Kongo (see pic below) on Saturday just gone, about 2 hours travelling from my apartment all told. Nice place, quiet, calm and void of a lot of people. Although the typical Japanese hill walkers were out in force, walking poles, bear-bells and loud conversation, I avoided them as best I could. While they are nice people, they just don't walk very quietly and it ruins and spoils the whole point of being out in the peace and quiet of the countryside....

By the way, that mad twitch with Neil saw us cross a series of six major bridges and five viaducts in crossing the Akashi Straits between Honshu and Shikoku. The six bridges are: the Shimotsui-Seto Bridge, Hitsuishijima Bridge, Iwakurojima Bridge, Yoshima Bridge, Kita Bisan-Seto Bridge, and Minami Bisan-Seto Bridge. The worlds longest suspension bridge, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge (1.991 Km long at its central span), I drove across shorlty after I first came here back in 2005. Pretty spectacular...here is a photo of the Kita Bisan-Seto bridge (I think). Massive.


I bet you are all wondering "why does Carmo think he knows he looks like his Dad?". Genetically of course, I resemble my ol' fella a helluva lot, and phenotypcially I do aswell. However, with the lack of barber time since I returned to Japan, I am now sporting a lovely side-crease people!!! Just like my ol' fella...no disrespect Da, but I think it's time to get a bazzar.

With that lovely thought, i bid you all adieu...

Carmo's Diet: this week, I have mostly been trying to burn off the spare tyre...it's not quite working

Carmo's Birds: Some goodies...but here's a taster, Long-toed stint, Wood Sand, JP Snipe, LRP, Crossbill, Osprey...

Carmo's Birds for Byrdy: I've given up on women

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fella - so you is on 299 and i is on 272 - who will get there first? you probly! Nice wan on de long hair - you should post some photos.

I can sympathise with yer i-pod woes though on a more basic level - my ultra fantastic 1GB mp3 player from argos broke shortly after xmas but they gave me a new one no sweats - no upgrade tho!

will be updating me blog this week as surfburds is back so you can keep up to date with me stringing!

if you've given up on women, whats next?

March 04, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Stuart Price said...

Know what you mean about those noisy J-hikers.....some of them up here go hiking with a radio strapped to their pack blaring out. They also don't seem to realise the most efficient way of having a conversation with fellow walkers is to walk close to them and speak in normal voices rather than 10 paces behind and shouting. And why do they use bearbells when they go hiking in places with no bears?!?

My i-pod hasn't had any problems............yet.

March 05, 2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

The lunar eclipse was a bit of a disappointment, probably due to light pollution in the city. The moon just kind of disappeared gradually, kind of like how it would if a slow-moving cloud moved over it, with no red tint/ well-defined black 'circle' etc. We were robbed...as you will no doubt claim on behalf of your fave English soccer team last Sat, but that's a different story.... ;-)
H

March 05, 2007 11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they were robbed though, in fairness - the filth do it again!! John O'Shea couldn't normally hit a barn door from 6 yards - if he'd been 2 feet further back I'd say the shot would have ballooned over the bar! Thats football kevin!

March 06, 2007 3:46 AM  
Blogger Amelie said...

Sorry hon, my 4GB i-pod has been perfectly working since I bought it..almost 3 years ago!!!!

The moon was great here in Rome: that sort of red light shining on the old ruins...breath-taking..

Given up on women?!?!? ...Whatever Mark, whatever...

March 07, 2007 1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright Biy, I too have inherited the 'side-crease'Despite the bearded one's efforts tho we still went to the Mersyside over Manchester!!Bring on United in Champions League Semi!!Its gettin hot here now the desert heat is gonna be unbearable in a couple of months!Hope all is well!

March 08, 2007 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apple are unquestionably evil in my opinion but to be quite honest we did a quick run around of all MP3 players on the market over here and to be frank they're all shite.Better the devil you know unfortunately.
No real news i'm allowed talk about,your charming mother called into me to say hello,i was about as responsive as the village drunk on a sunday morning but eventually we got a chat going.Soy is evil,give it up before you go decaf.Then,i will kill you.But seriously,its a bean,HOW CAN YOU MILK A BEAN ? ? ? Bean latte ??? No thanks.
Gotta go,work beckons and i too am in desperate need of a trip to the barbers - head like a motorcycle helmet and sexy stubble has become a not so sexy beard.Nice.

LONG MAY YOU RESEMBLE YOUR FATHER,HE ALWAYS SEEMED NICE TO ME !!!

PW

March 10, 2007 12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no way you can give up on the women. You need to get home for a longer period....I've a few jobs lined up for you - all you need to do is say you're coming home

Byrdy

March 10, 2007 9:36 PM  
Blogger Minnsy said...

You swinehunt

Youse two went and saw at least 2 darn Jap ticks on me...why do I have to always be broke when the good stuff is around!

Bugger, now I'll have to go and find somethin good my way tomorrow mornin.

Still guess I can be happy that you still have a 100 to catch up with me.

Likewise never had any probs with me little two gig pod..touch plastic..

Never give up on the lasses neither!

March 11, 2007 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmo

when you give up on the lasses is when they flock to you...Its an excellent tactic!
Let us know how it goes.
Looking forward to a massive birdy post with a gaggle of pics. Tis overdue!

March 11, 2007 2:36 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, longchamp, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, uggs outlet, reebok outlet, north face outlet, north face jackets, babyliss pro, ugg australia, ugg boots, nike huarache, nfl jerseys, new balance shoes, beats by dre, ugg pas cher, canada goose, p90x, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, mcm handbags, canada goose, vans shoes, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, nike roshe run, mont blanc, canada goose, marc jacobs, valentino shoes, ghd, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, celine handbags, canada goose uk, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, ugg, rolex watches, instyler, soccer jerseys, hollister

November 14, 2014 10:01 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home