Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Did Christmas happen this year??

This is a question I have asked myself after the last three days of mind-numbing work. I guess I'll tell you about my Japanese Christmas...there you go. Not much. Nothing in fact. Now don't get me wrong, I didn't miss Christmas solely due to the fact that there is absolutely no atmosphere. The only time I felt anyways festive was when I went for a pint in Murphy's Bar in Shinsaibashi on Christmas eve. I had a fabulous couple of pints of Guinness before I had to go to a house warming party. I must say it was good to hear an Irish accent behind the bar, even if it was a Dub accent...I guess it's better than nothing!! The craic was had and I could have stayed there, it was good fun. It's not a typical Irish bar (of which I dislike and avoid at all costs) but a dingy, dirty, dark place which smells like a bar should, smoky (although i still find that disconcerting, much better back home now) and full of character. The manager, Mike, is a gas man, full of shite (as most Dubs are, hehehe) and well capable of pulling the piss so we had great banter. What is great about his bar is that Mike's ol' fella is one of the original RTE men and is in charge of production of sport programmes so all the Irish games (be it rugby, soccer, hurling, football) are sent out to him the next day and are shown in the bar!! If I had known that during the autumn I could have watched Cork win the All-Ireland and the 'pool with the European Cup!! Damn it all to hell!!

The house party was a good laugh also though on Christmas Eve, with a gathering of folk from work, both gaijin and Japanese and the drink was drunk. The last train home was taken and all was good in the hood. Previously that afternoon, about 12 of us went for dinner in a French restaurant in Shinsaibashi to try and conjure up a bit of festive cheer but there just wasn't a festive atmosphere anywhere. Not even the trotters could muster up a feeling of home, walking through the English Market, with the smell of raw meat, sawdust and posh olives and cheese in the Olive Stall. Ahhh, now that would be nice....

Christmas day was spent washing my shirts, jocks and socks, getting my head shaved in a good old fashioned barbers (got a fancy haircut in a fancy salon (I know) and it was crap...they can't cut hair here...WEHRE ARE YOU KEN HARTE!!), buying my groceries for the week and generally resting. Watched some more 24, TM called over and we watched Chasing the Lions with Hector which was hilarious. That was my Christmas Day. I also spoke to my folks and a few of the lads back home so that was good. I guess the fact my day was over and everyone's back home was only just begining didn't make me feel like I was missing anything. Of course, I would have loved to have been home but at least here Christmas didn't happen for me to miss it.

To be honest, Christmas came and went like a fart in a hurricaine. An example of this was on Monday morning when I returned to work (yes, Japan just keeps going and going, 24-7). Upon entering the building foyer, the Christmas tree was being taken down and when I went down to the basement floor to get my morning constitution of fruit juice (if the editors of Mens Health could see this they'd kill me...processed juice is full of bad sugar folks), the little Christmas-themed display was GONE!! Amazing.

The big festivities, if one wants to call it that, happen over the new year. So, we are "allowed to finish work tomorrow at 3pm"...one can decipher that little gem as one wishes. Anyway, we are off on Friday, Monday-Wednesday next week!!! Yaahhhooooooo!!!!! I can not wait to be able to rest, relax and take it easy, give my brain a rest and recuperate. I am totally burnt out, both physically and mentally. I can't even lift my baby finger in the gym these days (on the rare occasions I can get there) and I can't add 1+1 ( I think the answer is 100). Apparently everything shuts down on the 1st-3rd as everyone goes to their home towns, villages and cities. The entire popluation visit shrines and temples over that period so planned visits to the like of Nara, Kyoto and the major shrines will be madness. However, I may visit Fushimi-inari which is supposed to be thronged then, with estimates of over a million people congregating there over the couple of days. Would make for some interesting photos, especially in the snow.

I just heard on Morning Ireland that Chomsky says that Bertie is George Dubba's puppet and is "polishing his shoes" for letting the American military machine stopping over in Shannon...personally, I think Chomsky is a legend, up there with Fisk as being a loud honest voice in today's plight in the Middle East.

Another little piece of useless observations that I have made recently. Everytime I descend the 16 floors to the basement at work, I go through a metal door (it's a shortcut) and get an electric shock everytime. Now, I am starting to become afraid to touch the damn door for fear of getting another shock...isn't it amazing how quickly the mind learns and adapts to situations. Just like the buzzer at school to signal the end of class, everyone just packs the bags and leaves...conditioning, ain't it marvellous.

Oh yeah, I bloody well slept through an earthquake on Christmas Eve morning!! I was disgusted! I entered the restaraunt and the lads started talking about the earthquake. I was clueless (I know, sometimes I can be, but it's a rare thing) and was informed that it happened at about 10.30 that morning but I was dead to the world. Anyone who knows me will know that sometimes it's impossible to wake me...even punches in the face, groin or an oncoming car won't budge me. Damn it all to hell!!! Next time....

Carmo's Diet: this week I have mostly been eating Tayto's Salt and Vinegar...ah, what heaven (thank you Mr. and Mrs. Barton!!).

Carmo's Birds: they don't exist as far as I'm concerned...no birding either

12 Comments:

Blogger swan_pr said...

Chomsky's words: “It can only be justified if the goal of the government is to be the obedient servant of the global superpower. This tells you that western politicians despise democracy and prefer to shine the shoes of the power”. :)

Make the most of your time off. Go for unproductive and without stress ;)

December 29, 2005 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmo me old salt,
Sincere apologies for the tardiness of my seasons greetings/beatings.The only excuse i can offer is the caligulan amounts of all things festive consumed since early last week.Had a fantastic few days in Kaikoura,rented a house with all the boys and a few more,13 of us all up in a little lodge full of piss and spliff,with the beach as our front garden and the snowy Mount Fyffe as our back.Yours truly cooked the christmas dinner which was received with rounds of applause.Went for a hangover curing surf on christmas eve,only to get nailed so bad that i ended up clinging to my board ,unable to catch my breath,puking my heart up.Puked another 3 times before finally giving up the ghost and gettin out.Gives a whole new meaning to the term "sick" waves...
Now we have returned to Nelson for another 3 nights of the same,going to see Fat Freddys Drop and Katchafire in the park tomorrow night for $5,just have to find some trouble to keep us busy for tonight.And of course by trouble,i mean impressionable swedish backpackers....

Happy hunting,
P

December 30, 2005 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
In case I don't get online again tomorrow, I hope 2006 is a good 'un for you. Make the most of the few days off!
H

December 31, 2005 1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...eh to answer your question ...did christmas exist thid year?...que SI SENOR!!...Were you missed?...

QUE SI SENOR!!...missed your grumpy head around the house christmas morning..but what worried me the most was that I was soo comfortably filling your shoes....SCARY!! love the ol crimbo...but you were sorely missed...and we all had a minute's bah humbug in your honour!!!

loved my pressie by the way! be it tourist tack or no...I loved it!

it's now officially 2006 here..apparently we had to add another second to the count down this year...which we obediently observed like good law abiding citazens!...u'll be pleased to hear that I spent the last daylight hours of 2005 suffering a hangover in Ballycotton with my friend from Barceona...being blown off the cliff and trying to pretend I knew loads about birds.

She didn't believe me for a second!

Miss ya loads lad,

talk soon,

luv g
xx

January 01, 2006 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. forgot to say luv ya loads...don't care who's reading this ...am a bit pissed ...and usually don't get to spend hours on internet for free!!! thanks mam!..it's half five and really need to hit the sack!!

talk soooooon XXXXX

January 01, 2006 2:54 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Pee, sounds like it was a damn good party where you were at. All good here too but with not so much of the greenage going on...ahhhhh, greenage. Surfing sounds good too. I am trying to convince some auzzies here that Ireland has some of the best surf in the world but they're not buying into it. I hope FFD were good, must try and get my hands on a copy of their album. Any nordic adventuring done over the weekend young man?? Dog. Big love

Sis, thanks for dropping by. Sure, it wouldn't be the same with my grumpy impatient head knockin around the gaff on Chrisser morning! Glad that you are having fun at home this year, more time and no rushing around seems to be the key to that. Great about the car insurance also...legend. Yup, we had to put an extra second on to keep in with the atomic clock I think. It happens every 28(?) yrs or so...ah, can't remember. Anyway, am off to bed, there's birding to be done. Miss and love ya loads

H, happy new year young man, hope it's bird-filled and a successful one for you. Talk to you soon. What happened with the "interesting" driving that has you shaken...and what was the other year tick?!!

January 01, 2006 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Well, I would call an incident that left a car facing back in the direction from whence it came, courtesy of an 180 degree skid on black ice and a close shave with a ditch, 'interesting'....
Remarkably, we escaped without anyone being injured or even any damage to Denis's car (short of a minor scratch to the paintwork), so it was 'all good', as they say.
Year ticks on that Northern excursion were Barn Owl somewhere in Tipp and my first Twite since 2002 in Belfast.
H

January 01, 2006 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will respect the dublin accent and the superior dublin race Carmo!
Dublin uber alles!
Pariah

January 03, 2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin, coach factory outlet, air max, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, nike shoes, coach outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags

November 14, 2014 9:24 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, longchamp, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, uggs outlet, reebok outlet, north face outlet, north face jackets, babyliss pro, ugg australia, ugg boots, nike huarache, nfl jerseys, new balance shoes, beats by dre, ugg pas cher, canada goose, p90x, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, mcm handbags, canada goose, vans shoes, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, nike roshe run, mont blanc, canada goose, marc jacobs, valentino shoes, ghd, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, celine handbags, canada goose uk, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, ugg, rolex watches, instyler, soccer jerseys, hollister

November 14, 2014 9:38 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:40 AM  
Blogger mmjiaxin said...

http://www.rayban-sunglasses.uk
links of london sale
nike zoom kobe
hogan outlet online
authentic jordans
nike polo
nike air huarache
adidas nmd
discount oakley sunglasses
chrome hearts online store
gg

October 28, 2016 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home