Sunday, November 13, 2005

Friendly Natives, Hooded Cranes and Big Lenses

My adoring fans, I apologise for the lack of posting of late but it's been a bit busy and the energy levels are low. Work is fine, busy as always but getting more interesting all the time. Last week was just about the work and the gym. A few pints after work on Friday night was really really good. I was tempted to go hell for leather but I wanted to find some Cranes on Saturday morning so I curtailed that and got the last train home instead.

So, up reasonably early, 7.30am, and met TM at Kyobashi station where we caught the Loop line to Tennoji and then a regional rapid express to Kumeda, about 40 minutes from Tennoji and so a total travel time of about an hour. Not bad. It was a nice day, a bit of sunshine made for a pleasant autumnal day. This could turn into a birding post, so I'll spare you all the enthusiastic and exciting atmosphere of the day that was and tell you a bit about the folk I met while waiting for the Hooded Cranes to come into to roost for the night.



The typical "birder" in Japan, from my experience, are all retirees or near-retirees who have a lot of money and hence, buy the best there is, in whatever hobby they decide to take up. For example, two fellas we got chatting to yesterday were 65 and 70 years old. They both didn't look a day over 60 and they were very friendly. Although the day was spent carefully playing out charades and miming in order to communicate, we had good fun and they had a great sense of humour. Anyway, the 70 year old had about 12,000US dollars worth of camera gear and he was only doing this for the last couple of years. He basically thought it would be a nice hobby to take photographs of birds so the best of equipment was bought and any updated products replaced the previous models. The lens he had was an awesome Nikon 600mm beast and with the teleconvertor on, it was amazing. As good as my telescope as regards zoom and I was amazed....I want one!!! I took my, paltry in comparison, baby 70-300mm zoom out and was doing my best to take some good photos of the goings on of the day. When he showed me some of the shots he took, I just felt deflated but he was so encouraging and giving me tips that all that delfatedness was soon washed away.



The old guys whom I have met in situations like this have always been friendly, forthcoming and excited to share their stories with you. It's a lovely way to spend an afternoon, basking in the autumnal sun, listening to stories about Japan and their travels. There are truly amazingly friendly people in Osaka. It's not at all what I had expected. So, when the multitudes arrived (about 100 people) to see 5 Hooded Cranes come into land, all pandemonium broke loose with the sound of cameras clicking, whirring and shutters closing and opening. It was a beatufiul sight to see these magnificant, elegant Hooded Cranes come into land from the direction of the slowly setting sun, gliding in on their large wings, arcing in before dangling their legs and breaking in mid-air, landing gracefully on the water's edge. Some people even clapped....what an end to the day.



To make it even more amazing, the two old boys offered TM and I a lift back into Osaka. They were from Amagasaki (where the train crash was in April/May this year) which is very near to where I live (about 30 minutes by train) and on the same train line. We had a great laugh with them in the car and they showed me their printed photographs of many birds, some globally threatened. They gave us their phone numbers and we said our goodbyes. I'd like to meet up with them again.



So, then, after getting dropped off, another 45 minutes on the train to a party in Abiko to a house of one of the new guys from work. It was really strange walking into a house, seeing stairs, more than one room...a couch, seats, a fridge (that can hold more than a bottle of water and a pint of milk), and cupboards...it was palatial!! Bit of a laugh at that and then home...home to bed and to a well earned sleep.

Not much doing today, work late, missed going to the horse racing but I really needed a rest and a sleep until the warmth of the sun in the room woke me. A good weekend, nice people, good food, Hooded Cranes and big lenses...

Carmo's Diet: this week I have mostly been eating chicken gizzards and cartilage

Carmo's birds: Long-billed Dowitcher, BAIKAL TEAL, HOODED CRANE, Buff-bellied pipit, osprey, black kite, peregrine, dunlin, widgeon, teal, mallard, gadwall, common gull, black-headed gull, japanese wagtail.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey fella - sounds like ye had a good time with de old boys and de cranes! Don't get too despondant about yer camera - Mr whooley just got a new fancy-assed digital SLR and said the other day that its not the photographer thats important its the camera - would you believe he managed to even take a couple of in focus fish shots!?!

not much happening here - got our stove in (no smoke leaks - huzzah!)and re-did some of the botch ceiling insulation job in de bedroom. Missed little gull at kilkeran but thats showbusiness! Finally, wigeon don't have a d in it!

November 14, 2005 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Franklins gull OML YA BAS.

November 14, 2005 9:00 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Col, thanks for that mate, my spelling was always athrowshus. I got a teleconvertor though biy, 1.4x so hopefully that will add a bit of oomph to the shots. I don't have any decent shots of the Cranes but I'll head back there again on Sat if they are still around. Baikal and LBW are excellent records for the area so am pleased to be getting my name out there.

Pariah, OML too ya bas but not me dwindling irish list....

November 14, 2005 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babe,
On my second day in my new job. its a bit daunting and to be honest I think I am in over my head a bit, but bring it on I say. Its all healthcare abd education so my mums delighted at least one of her kids has gone into the medical profesion ( well sort of) I just hope I dont mess it up! Good to hear your voice the other day have the landline working now so feel free to buzz! Take care

November 15, 2005 7:21 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, longchamp, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, uggs outlet, reebok outlet, north face outlet, north face jackets, babyliss pro, ugg australia, ugg boots, nike huarache, nfl jerseys, new balance shoes, beats by dre, ugg pas cher, canada goose, p90x, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, mcm handbags, canada goose, vans shoes, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, nike roshe run, mont blanc, canada goose, marc jacobs, valentino shoes, ghd, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, celine handbags, canada goose uk, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, ugg, rolex watches, instyler, soccer jerseys, hollister

November 14, 2014 9:37 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home