Monday, October 31, 2005

The week that was

Hello all,

it's been some time since I last graced these pages and so I shall tell you all about my week that was. I am presenlty sitting down listening to "Morcheeba: Back to Mine" and having a glass of vino, something which I havent' done in quite a while. It's quite nice actually. Well, I promise to keep the birding content to a minimum, just a photo or two...really, I promise.



Last week was one of the toughest and mind-draining weeks so far at work. I put in some late nights and didn't have the energy for the gym at all. I am begining to wonder is it worth paying 70yoyos a month now, but I did go on Saturday morning so that was good. Despite the stress of work, my back has been in good condition with the exception of 2 days last week when I worked later than normal. Par for the course, as one man once said. We're packed with cases at the moment and there are due dates coming out the proverbial woodwork, being landed on our desks at the rate of knots. All good of course, why I'd be complaining if we were quiet at work...NOT!!! Good grief moncrief but it would be nice to finish before 8pm some nights. On a point of interest, well to us Patent Agents anyhow, a UK associate is with us for a month and he works the most glorious, music-to-my-ears hours yet...Dolly Parton's 9 to 5. He's a qualified European Patent Attorney and he works for a big firm but they finish at 5pm every day. However, shock horror, he brings work home with him sometimes...we just laughed and when I left work tonight with him at about 9ish, he couldn't believe we were still there. I'm getting my Irish ass to the UK (I know, who'd have thought I'd think about working there) and have a normal working week. Ah, time, ladies and gentlemen, time will tell...



So, went for a few bevvies with the buoys on Friday after work, pished, slightly, on 3 beers! I'm truly turning Japanese as regards my capacity for booze. Good or bad? That depends on who you talk to I guess. Saturday was spent in bed in the morning as it was thunderous with rain, then followed by the gym and a trip to Umeda for some gandering and oogling at really nice lenses. The lotto first, then the lenses I'm afraid. Dinner with TM at a really cool place called the Elephant Cafe, a good mix of Thai, Korean, Western dishes and at a reasonable price. Really good cocktails there apart from the Mochito which was crap, sorry, not up to the Charmo standard.



Sunday morning was spent BIRDing in Osaka-jo park which is quite near work. In the picure you will notice a big blue building, that's called the Crystal Tower and that is where I domicile for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's a beautiful building and I must get some better photos but there's just a taster. There was a Korean festival on also and the food was only fabulous. The music wasn't bad and the people were great. It was packed and the weather was good. After a few hours prattling about there, I went back to me palatial abode and proceeded to cook, clean, wash clothes and generally be a good house-person (let's be PC here people). What a man, what man.



That's about it. I just finished a book called "Living to tell the tale", which is an autobiographic account of the young Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Anybody who has read his books and love to the way he writes, should really get there hands on a copy. It's a joy to read, like all his books, and he tells his young life growing up in abject poverty, revolution, dictartorships, befriending Fidel Castro and how he became a writer and not a lawyer (hmmm, I wonder is there a message in there...). A superb book that I couldn't put down and was gutted yet enthralled when I finished it.

Sin e for now folks...hang on, what's this?? How did that photograph of a Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker get in here?? There so small, about the size of a sparrow, that he must have snuck in. Sorry about that folks, I just don't know how that could have happned...sheesh, I must be slipping up in my old age.



And just for my sister, who's birthday was last week, and whom I have just spoken to on the phone, this week I have mostly been eating chicken, prawns and vegtables, wrapped in rice paper.

If my bro reads this, I'll be on to you this weekend for an ol' natter.



Ah sorry again folks, a fabulous Japanese White-eye just flew in as I was publishing the post...aren't critters just the darndest things....

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a rare compliment from ur lil'bro but ur photos are quite good and am also enjoying the twitch talk! I hope ur not seeing any pool games its not comfortable telly! A man ur size will always struggle with the booze!

November 01, 2005 5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola carmo-san.Still smelling vaguely like a hangover,am never going to drink whiskey again.As for being pissed on 3 pints,Carmo,you forget that many is the eves we spent in the raven among questionable company.You were telling me you loved me and dancing like the village drunk on a sunday morning after 3 glasses of erdinger !!! Ha ha ha ha !!!!

No more real news,some nice photos on the site to check out if you get the chance.Getting a new camera next week in preparation our Samoan assault in 11 days.Incidentally,cameras are for nowt over here,getting an olypmus 5 meg digital with an underwater case for about E250 which as far as i can rememeber in pretty fupping good.

Must go as our old friend the Perunian two-step has made an unwelcome return...nasty

LONG MAY YOU IRRESPONSIBLY SLIP BORING PHOTOS INTO POSTS INTENDED FOR GENERAL VIEWING ! ! ! ! ! !

P

November 01, 2005 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right,I'm off. Will phone tomorrow, but just so you can be prepared - sum total was bonellis, 2 greenish, grey phal, melodious, 2 barred (thats barred warbler x2!!!), 40+ firecrest, 3 reed, LEO, wryneck, lesser g shrike, 2 lapper, rb fly, 16+ y browed, richards pip, 15+ lesser whitethroat, prob 17 hawfinches, little auk, dotterel, raddes, grey cheek, chimney swift, 2000+ siskin,2 t dove,7 whinchat, 12 rouzel, yr warbler. In no particular order! None of it the same without the bird king to witness though, apart from the yellow rumped which I will hopefully hold over you for the rest of your days, long they will be! C

November 01, 2005 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is some langer!!!!;)

November 01, 2005 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ciaran,
2 Irish ticks...no, LIFERS...there for me, both of which could be a little difficult to get in Ireland (especially the shrike).
Here's to a MAINLAND Yellow-rumped later in the week: odd that a species with so many records has such a bias towards islands, with only one mainland record coming to mind (Loop) and ALL of Cork's NINE records now coming from that fecking island!!!
H

November 01, 2005 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do all the birders think that this is a chatroom? I'm just guessing that pee wee, cilla, paul, gill etc are not that interested in who thinks what - though I'm pretty sure that MARK is quite interested in what I saw on Cape.
My email address is known to all necessary if you want to talk!!
Oh yeah - hi Paul and Gill, hope yer both well!

November 02, 2005 3:37 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

lil bro, thank you for gracing the comment page with your wit. I'm touched about your compliments...I still haven't gotten off the floor. As regards the 'pool, I onl read the reports, they're painful enough without having to look at them...will call u over weekend..

Pee, sounds like you did well on the camera, nice one my son. THose stories about the erdinger days are all false, all false I tells ya!! I swear, i really don't know how those bird shots got in there...

H, don't lose sleep over it, there's many lifers in there for me but not much I can do about it...

P, he is that but he deserved it for slogging it out when there was feck all there to see and the rain pissing down...

November 03, 2005 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Lorraine here think thats a wonderful idea drag ur ass over to blighty cos I'm dragging a kicking and screaming Andre over there 4 a few yrs...sure he'd appreciate a bit of birdy company....enjoyin the blog thou workload sounds shite but even I as a birding widow think some of those birdy pics are grt....

November 03, 2005 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you have it carmo-san.The ladies dig the bird pics...keep em coming!!!:D

Pariah

November 03, 2005 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola! ...for anyone who is interested in anything other than BIrds....I am very excited cos I gave internet guy my phone number yesterday...and we're going for coffee......so if my last attempt to meet a sane man in barcelona does not materialise...I will be winging my way to cork on the 17th of December untill mid january to suss out the specimens at home! see..not all the carmodys are into beaks and wings....I just want a sane man please....!! to sweep me off my feet...make me laugh...ok..this sounds like a lonely hearts column!!!don't confuse this useless bit of information for DESPERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

.....great to talk to ya the other day marcus...gracias for the consideration Ciaran :)

le gra...gxx

November 04, 2005 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

errr i didnt realise talk of the echos pink pages would prompt the start of a personal ad forum....seeing as it has tho i would like a hot blonde/brunette with big breasts and long legs delivered to my house in a big red bow!!

Pariah

November 04, 2005 11:26 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Hello all,

firstly, Lorraine, great to hear from you. I'm sure I could keep the big guy company if/when i move to Britain :) I hope all is well with you and that yer man is not stinging too much!!

Mel, I heard about that thunderstorm, it was supposed to have been pretty bad. I'll mail you later on.

deccieleurve, that's me sister Gill fella!! I'm sure you've met her before. I'd say she'd be delighted to have a welcoming committee waiting for her when she disembarks. Just not Kennedy, he's infiltrated my family once before, we're still trying to recover. Hope all's good with you and de crew. Must send me on some photos of the potential new gaff. Sounds good mate. Prob a barn owl you saw the other night...

Pariah, not many of those around here, if there are then they're russian...

November 06, 2005 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carmo and all !!
Things were in danger of winding down quietly until this weekend turned into an all-out pissfest.Work "dinner" on friday night saw me attempt to take on stella for the first time since that infamous night in the bodega,with all too predictable results.Went to a Guy Fawlkes party last night,which was basically a load of drunken people setting things on fire and setting off fireworks (the high precentage of chinese stores were finally appreciated).Ended up at a student party around the corner from our apartment where ol' Pee dusted off the thumbs and somehow became DJ for the eve,with 2 decks,a minidisc player,and about 7 ipods.As ever,the DJ got the girl,but more on that when i call.
Mr Leurve !!! I never knew you were learning to rock on water!!!! Keep it up,7'6 is nothing !! I rented an 11' "board" in Chile and paddled it out into about 4 foot.for those of you who have never laid eyes on the beautiful spectacle that is Mr. Wee,thats about twice my size.To tell the truth Dec,7'6 might be a bit small for you to learn on - try something about 8',seriously,you'll do much better.As for an owl on its way to the pub,i'm speechless...

November 06, 2005 4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Andre herejust finishing wathching fair city it's still shite..but shagged out went up 2 Jackeens today for white billed diver-great views and now is safely on list making it a respectable (I think!) 260 stopped off for at the bull 4 blue winged teal tart tick 4 ur boyfriend Ciaran and one of the girls in the back needed it 2 other senorita in the bac got it at Smerwick couple of months ago..I'd say Japan has quitened down on ol migration things startin 2 wind down here.Been out much recently? I'm off 2 Manc next wkd startin 2 gettin used eventual life there. Hope all is fine all the best Andre

November 07, 2005 5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

carmo
callage anseo, what the hell is on your gualainn!
nil aithne agum air! savage pickies fella, birding strong good for you, hope les dollies are 12 out of 10 on the catchn' hand front. Loooks like some experience in between the work. How the hell did you manage to loose weight! catch onto yourself and get some jar and carbs on board fella. in the immortal words of freddy "who wants to live forever!"

sorry i'm so shit on the blogg front promise to do better. Mr and misses callibration are off the the florida keys for the xmuss, turkey sambo on the beach on the 25th happy days followed by swim in the gulf.

other than that fairly low key good to see you well, tell me more about this bird on the lift!

November 29, 2005 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

callage aris

forgot to mention georgie and keno
man u falling apart at the seems, nearly as bad as de 'pool these days! seriously though besty's demise sadly came to fruition this weekend, the whole of these isles are "united" in there praise for the great man though which was nice.
sad on his passing we are!

Keno gate on the other hand has pissed us corkies off considerably though, the lefty ferguson in on his last legs if man u fall off the euro horse next week he's gone

but enough ranting

lets finish with a quote from georgie boy!

" i had a tendancy to go missing alot! - miss u.k, miss u.s.a miss world " the mans genius transends the field!

ar dheis De go raibh a anam

November 29, 2005 5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my accommodation florence italy site.
Have a great week!

July 06, 2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin, coach factory outlet, air max, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, nike shoes, coach outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags

November 14, 2014 9:33 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, longchamp, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, uggs outlet, reebok outlet, north face outlet, north face jackets, babyliss pro, ugg australia, ugg boots, nike huarache, nfl jerseys, new balance shoes, beats by dre, ugg pas cher, canada goose, p90x, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, mcm handbags, canada goose, vans shoes, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, nike roshe run, mont blanc, canada goose, marc jacobs, valentino shoes, ghd, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, celine handbags, canada goose uk, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, ugg, rolex watches, instyler, soccer jerseys, hollister

November 14, 2014 9:37 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home