Monday, June 26, 2006

Almost a Million Dollar Baby

The last 16 of the World Cup is coming to an end tonight, the rainy season has hit Osaka with a bang, and I was fortunate enought to see a mega rare bird for Japan on Saturday morning. I was also unfortunate to watch a jaded Irish rugby team succumb to an unnecessary defeat to Australia on Saturday night, so I drowned my sorrow in style, waking up at lunch time Sunday to find myself in my own bed, thankfully as I have no recollection of getting home. Ah, the joys of watching the game in an Irish bar and knowing the manager...brings back some memories I can tell ya. As a result of my suffering body on Sunday, I didn't have the energy to stay up and listen to my fellow Cork Republican comrades show Tipperary how to play hurling and secured our 50th Munster Senior Hurling title. Looks good to bring the Liam McCarthy back home again this year.

So, I arose at 4am and went in search of a Pheasant-tailed Jacana on Saturday morning (see photo above) and I was lucky to have glorious weather. At 6.30am that morning, the heat was such that I drank 2 litres of water by 8am! I also got sunburned in that time!! Madness I tells ya. A stunning bird and it was being watched by about 100 people, 99 of them Japanese and one young man from Cork. When I walked up first they were more intrigued by my presence than a bird that even made the local press. For a bird or anything involving nature making the paper, it must be something incredibly special. In my joy and rapture of watching this bird, it was only on my way back home that I realized I never took a photo of the masses of cameras and lenses that were pointed at the bird. I estimated that there was at least .75 million USD worth of camera gear there...it was incredible. I was kicking myself for not documenting it, just to show how crazy it is here when it comes to wildlife photography. If one saw the scene front-on, one would think they were at a World Cup game! Anyway, I went home a happy man...

I also was practicing my "paning photography" with dragonflies on the way home and this is the best of a bad lot really (see below). I am off on a ferry trip in mid-August with Neil, travelling from Nagoya to Hokkaido with the hope of seeing some seabirds...fingers crossed we get a typhoon a day or so before which may bring some nice stuff up from the south pacific. So long as the ferry isn't cancelled!!!

That happiness was quickly soured by our tired display in Australia. The boys just didn't look like they had the energy. It's surprising as they have had a hard and long season. So, after a few pints of fabulous Guinness, we decided to stay up and watch the World Cup games. I made it for the first game but by 3am I was fit for nothing so I was duly thrown in to the back of a cab and somehow I got home. All good really and a great night. Having the craic and banter with Mick behind the bar was great fun and made me realize how much I miss the craic back home. Nothing beats a good bar with decent staff who will take the piss out of you and expect it back 10-fold. Brilliant craic!

Now, it's Monday evening, the Aussies are playing tonight but seeing as I didn't even have the energy to listen to the mighty Red Army bring home the 50th Munster title, I don't think I'll manage the soccer tonight. I think bed beckons. However, Brazil play tomorrow night so maybe i'll stay up for that game. I was surprised that England stuttered through to the next round. They really are doing well considering they are playing terrible football. It was a similar way when they won in '66...dear god i hope they don't repeat that or else we'll never hear the end of it. I can't see anyone stopping Brazil, and now with Ronaldo finding his form with some great goals in the last game, they just might be unstoppable.

I don't think there is anything else, so I will sign off and bid you all goodnight.

Carmo's Diet: This week, I have mostly been eating vegetables and drinking green tea

Carmo's Birds: PHEASANT-TAILED JACANA*; Little Cuckoo; Oriental Reed Warbler; Japanese Bush Warbler; Asian House Martin; Ashy Minivet (258 for Japan now).

Carmo's Birds for Byrdy: the chick from Underworld

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Class lookin yolk!

June 26, 2006 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fella - who was the young man from cork at the jacana? I'm confused - how can you claim to be a young man, then at the same time drone on about how the gland played in '66 like you were there - it don't add up! have you got a time machine or summat? do i win 5 pounds?

June 27, 2006 2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit Col you stole my joke.All good C,just dropped you a mail detailing the comings and goings at corks current favourite pub.Fun reading i think.Nothing really new,got a ticket for electric picnic,looking forward to basement jaxx.Also,if i see another barbeque i may vomit.Bring on the winter and its waves.

G'luck,
PW

June 27, 2006 3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...how can Guinness travel that far? you must be losing your taste!

June 27, 2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Col, I was that young man...once, Hahahahaaaaaaaa!!! You don't win 5 pounds, 5yoyos, maybe.

P, just read the mail, brilliant. Made me laugh. Reply on the way.

Anonnymous...after drinking Japanese beer (which is good by the way) for the last 14 months, a pint of Genius is always going to be good no matter where it has travelled to (they were good though)

June 27, 2006 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is yolk really spelt yolk or is it yoke? or was pariah talking about his sunday fry?

June 28, 2006 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chick from underworld is Kate Beckinsdale!....And I saw her first Ya bollox!!!

June 28, 2006 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, get off that rugger soapbox and get back to basics, not sure what the coverage of the fotbal is like over east along but here you go for checkin out all the goals from the cup so far http://www.11football.com/coupedumonde2006/ also on a lighter note, enjoy some apres match courtesy of the tv licences that you no doubt havent subscribed to this year http://www.rte.ie/sport/worldcup/apresmatch.html, Dam was hazy, good lafs, Ben Harper rocked, checkin out the Tempest in fits-geralds park on Fridag, (might pop in to see ya Pee), off to del sol next week for some skin bathing, will be there for the final so hoping for a brazilian carnival, might catch the boys for argie vs kraut on fridag, petekend gone nuts for the argies, 10 weeks to junior d-day, alls good, seaside sunny today, must catch up soon for some saki....xx

June 28, 2006 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Col,
'Tis indeed 'yoke' when describing a thing...unless the thing being discussed is an egg yolk!
Pariah: I sincerely doubt that you saw Kate Beckinsale first...surely her parents and various doctors and nurses did that? You couldn't even have been there, not having been born and all that....
H

June 28, 2006 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words Boy.
"Flux".
And "Capacitor"!

Borrowed it off Dennis!

June 28, 2006 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Markie,
Any of your mates out there looking for a ticket for Roger Waters tonight in Cork ... I have a spare I'm willing to sell ... all The Dark Side Of The Moon ... go on ...
MM

June 29, 2006 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pariah,
Just for your information, it is DENIS O'Sullivan, not Dennis.
While I'm correcting commonly mis-spelt names of east Cork birders, it's Phil DAVIS (not Davies) and Paul Moore (not 'the jammy bastard who had a Black Kite over his farm in 1991').... ;)
H

June 29, 2006 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's your buddy havin a lingual laugh wit the staines massif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIM1_xOSro&mode=related&search= . .repec

June 30, 2006 12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was Paul "ive had most of the Irish list on my farm" Moore....thanks for correcting my error!;)

Pariah

June 30, 2006 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am never waiting for a phone call again, and jesus christ no more bird posts!!!!! I cant take it anymore!

July 01, 2006 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the subject of erroneous names..it's Beckinsale, not Beckinsdale...I think she must be a lass from Yorkshire!

July 02, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

All,

just back from North Hyogo having played an Ultimate Frisbee competition which was great fun. AM now off to bed and too tired to enter a post. Will do so tomorrow hopefully.

Cilla, sorry babes, last weekend was wasted and I couldn't move. Will call u during the week...

July 02, 2006 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Cork tick for myself and H on saturday. Long Tailed Skua. And adult. Off Galley. Oh yeah!

July 03, 2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:41 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
kobe shoes
hermes belt
jordans shoes
kobe sneakers
off-white
jordan retro
supreme
yeezy boost 350
goyard handbags

June 01, 2021 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home