Monday, April 23, 2007

Entertaining parents and being entertained by three starlings

For the last few weeks it has been hectic here in Nippon. The folks visited for a couple of weeks, taking on a spectacular tour of Japan in the little time they were here. I was very impressed with the fact that nothing fazed them, they got around with ease and never once rang me on an SOS call. Brilliant. Taking in Hiroshima, Miyajima, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Arashiyama, Yoshino (see cherry blossoms left), and Tokyo, with a day trip to Mt. Fuji and surrounding area. The JR rail pass was a total must for this type of touring holiday as for just 29000yen, all rail travel on JR lines, including the Shinkansen (but not the Nozumi) for one week. For example, a return ticket to Tokyo itself costs in the region of 22000yen! Chuck in the 18000yen return trip to Hiroshima and all the local lines getting around Kansai, it's a massive saving. A must for anyone coming to Japan on holidays. I must say it was a pleasure having the folks over here and I thoroughly enjoyed their company and having them stay here with me when they were in Osaka. They are back home now and still in shock I think at the fact they were here.

Since they left, work had been crazy all last week and I found myself unable to get out of bed on Saturday morning to search for migs. I did meet up with a friend of mine though at 10am at Nanko for a spot of birding for a few hours which was nice. A beautiful day despite the forecast. After the typhoon winds hit (albeit weakly) on Wednesday, I was hoping for a few rares in Osaka. Although not a rare, I finally managed to catch up with a Japanese Robin...a stunning male. No photos though (hurrah, I hear the multitudes cry).

The weekend previously, the day before the folks left, I got given a couple of hours respite from the olds to go birding. With a Silky Starling (pictured above) relocated in Hamadera and Violet-backed Starling in Danichi down by the Yodagawa, I managed to see three species of Starling in one day, with the ubiquitous White-cheeked starling abundant! Not too exciting for the avesphobes out there, but for the birders, especially from Ireland, that's pretty damn special (see my Flikr page for the other two species). The weekend just past, I managed to catch up with Japanese Grey Thrush (see below), Siberian Blue Robin and Grey Bunting in Osaka-jo. It started pissing rain on Sunday morning so I went home and went shopping with PJ.

Also this weekend, I bought 2 albums, namely "Veneer" by Jose Gonzalez and "Riot in an Empty Street" by Kings of Convenience which were recommended to me by JD (the artist formerly known as PW)...INCREDIBLE!!!! I think these albums are well worth buying and brilliant for chilling out. They have been constantly blaring from my iPOD since I bought them. Thanks JD, excellent choice. Anymore recommendations from people would be more than welcome. Bro, I can't find the comments you left with your recomms so please drop me a line with them. I also finished "Arthur and George" by Julian Barnes, a more than welcome gift from AW. Another excellent choice AW...simply excellent. I have read a few of Barnes' work, such as "A History of the World in 10 1/2 chapters", "Flaubert's Parrot", and "Oscar and Lucinda". A&G is funny, brilliant and so well written, as always is the case with Barnes. Now, the Master and Margharita by Bulkakov from PW. Although I read many years ago, I look forward to reading it again...it's so out there and hilairous.

Now, the week begins and I near a 2 day work week next week. The annual Golden Week holiday is upon us yet again. My third one since I have got here. It's mad to think I am here 2 years now. Time just flies. It really does. I leave you with a photo of Todai-ji Daibutsu-den hall which is in Nara and is the largest wooden building in the world, housing one of the largest bronze statues in the world, an incredible 63 metre statue of Buddha, first cast in 762AD. Well worth checking out...


Carmo's Birds: Silky, Violet-backed, and White-cheeked Starling; Black Kite; JP ROBIN*; JP Grey Thrush; Arctic Warbler; Narcissus and Brown Flycatchers; Grey Bunting; Siberian Blue Robin

Carmo's Diet: this week, I have mostly been eating Cheese and Onion Tayto

Carmo's Birds for Byrdy: this chick I saw in Outback on Saturday night...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Charmo. I'm glad to see you're keeping well. Sometimes, when I think of you, I feel a little sad but it cheers me up to read your blog from time to time. To be honest I don't have much time to read since I became a mother, and even less since I started my postdoc, but there's always 5 min between incubations.
Well, I just wanted to say hi. Violeta

April 24, 2007 2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I gave you Veneer at Christmas from my Itunes!! Just been listening to Interpol and Modest Mouse lately nothing major but check out Scott Matthews if you can album is 'Passing Stranger'. Good to hear the parents survived might do that trip myself! Oh yeah the guitarist for the Smiths has joined Modest Mouse!! He helped write the new album. Will pop you a mail soon hopin to pop into Gill on the way home just sorting out flights now! And no pics of Mam and Gandalf the 'GREY'!Sort it out!!

April 24, 2007 4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmo old man !!!
Hows the form dude ?? Great to see you have taken my advice to heart but please,i remain PW and not JD,JD is my brothers alias and God knows we are similar enough without using the same name.Actually had to produce ID last week to prove i wasnt JD.Enough of such silliness.
Other albums currently rocking my world:

>Wincing the night away - the shins
>Mistake - James Figurine
>Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
>The Audience is listening - Cut Chemist
>Bombay The Hard Way - DJ Shadow
>DJ Kicks - Erland Oy

Give em a look,you'll be boppin to work in no time.

Big glove,

PW

April 24, 2007 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where you been man? if you want more K of C then let moi know - i have de 1st album (all good) and a re-mix versus album which is ok too. but for mellow you just can't beet the reindeer section, which i trust you have already?

nae birds here fella but de langer has been up to his old trix with shorelark, hoopoe, dotterel & tripit - i tink its all bollox meself!

April 24, 2007 6:40 AM  
Blogger Stuart Price said...

Great pic of the Starling.

I note one of your friends (Paul) likes Modest Mouse. This is the only band I've seen live in Japan. Bizzare night. Tiny venue in Hakodate. The band bummed cash off the audience (all 20 of us) because their cashcards wouldn't work in Japan and they had no money at all. We then got the singer drunk and very very stoned and he passed out after vomiting in our local 'Irish' pub. A couple of nights later in Osaka the same singer had a fistfight with a friend in Osaka. My friend whupped his ass.............

Sorry. Back to the Starling. Beautiful!

April 24, 2007 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello sir! Been a while since I was on this bad boy, i missed the birds i did....hope you are keeping well

Cilla xx

April 25, 2007 9:56 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

lovin the blog mark, makes me want to work harder at mine and delete all my crummy photos and start again!
after reminding me of the existance of the wondrous gabriel garcia marquez a hunger grew until i was faced with his entire collection three weeks ago in bangkok, unable to choose, i blew a weeks rent on three, including his autobiography! stunning!!
i devoured the lot, one after the other, and now ready to maybe start again!
for what its worth,
can't get enough of ray la montagne at the moment,a really bizarre band called Beirut have managed to come up trumps for me, and for chillin out...it's gotta be bonnie "prince" billy, pure smooth like : )

hello to gill!

take care
x

April 28, 2007 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey boy - let's just say 273 fella! we is now level! Can you guess what it was?

Leah's right - mebbe you should stick on some Bonnie Prince Billy aka Palace Brothers and "ease down the road"!

tayto's and K of C is on their way to ya now fella - don't eat them all at once!

April 30, 2007 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beirut rock

May 02, 2007 7:37 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin, coach factory outlet, air max, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, nike shoes, coach outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags

November 14, 2014 9:57 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, longchamp, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, uggs outlet, reebok outlet, north face outlet, north face jackets, babyliss pro, ugg australia, ugg boots, nike huarache, nfl jerseys, new balance shoes, beats by dre, ugg pas cher, canada goose, p90x, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, mcm handbags, canada goose, vans shoes, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, nike roshe run, mont blanc, canada goose, marc jacobs, valentino shoes, ghd, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, celine handbags, canada goose uk, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, ugg, rolex watches, instyler, soccer jerseys, hollister

November 14, 2014 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home