Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Hokkaido, the land of ice and birds

Greetings everyone, having just returned from Hokkaido last night, I am still in awe and wonder at what was one of the most beautiful and harsh places I have ever visited. Although I fell ill just before I was due to fly to Hokkaido, it did not deter me from having an amazing 4 days in what I can truly call a heaven and hell on earth. Now, stuck at home with Type A influenza for my troubles, I shall tell you all a bit about my trip. Before you all make a face and groan about this being a birding post, I will spare you all the torture by adopting a bird-absent post for all you avesphobes and post a birding entry for my avesphiles when I get a chance to process the couple of hundred of photos I took.

Having left noisy, polluted and cold (at least that what the weather man said) Osaka, we flew up to Hokkaido via Tokyo (that's a bad photo of Mt. Fuji from the plane on the right), arriving at 1.30pm on Thursday. We rented a Toyota 4WD RV and headed east to Shibetsu and then south to Nemuro peninsula for two nights. The drive down to Nemuro was spectacular, and would be a common sight for the remainder of the trip. Firstly, the amount of snow we encountered was phenomonal and secondly, the bays, harbours, inlets and rivers were frozen solid, with pack ice washing up on the tide and in some places, the sea frozen as far as the eye could see. A truly winter wonderland. With temperatures averaging at -9C (not taking the windchill factor into account), it was cold to say the least. There were times when I thought my camera batteries would be too cold to work! Nemuro peninsula was stunning, with ice covered cliffs, snow fields for miles and beaches covered with snow, meeting the frozen tide line as the sea, slushy with ice, washed over the edges of the snow line. It was mindblowing. The roads were in great condition and were clear of all snow and ice for most of the 90 minute drive from the airport to Nemuro. I thought we would be taking our time on the roads but to be honest, there was no problem.

We stayed in the world famous Furen Lodge Minshiku (pictured above), run by Matsuo-san and his wife. A very friendly couple who served us up the best meal I have EVER had in Japan. Matsuo-san ate with us (both breakfast and dinner) while his wife was elsewhere, doing other household chores no doubt or eating by herself in the kitchen. I am not sure of this but it was a custom that was mirrored when we stayed in Hegua-jima last October. Fresh fish, homemade pickle, rice, fruit, soup, homemade cranberry shoschu (a liquer) and mandarains were piled high on our many dishes. We ate cod, saffron cod and cod roe which I was surprised at, seeing as the species is heavily protected now in European waters. Matsuo-san was aware of it but said they were plentiful in Hokkaido although numbers were begining to decrease slightly. He had excellent English and when we signed the guest book I noticed that a few Irish birders had stayed there the week perviously...such a small world. We birded Nemuro peninsula and Nosappu Misaki (the headland on the peninsula) the next day and had amazing views of Ringed seals, feeding alongside Black and White-winged scoters. The seals were huge and very beautiful. We tried to get out to another lighthouse but the road was impassable and we didn't have snow shoes to walk through the snow fields, which was a pity.

Saturday morning, Rob and I decided to head back out to Nosappu Misaki to try and get better views of red-faced cormorant. However, when we got up at 5am, a massive blizzard was blowing and the temperatures had dropped to -12C. We looked at each other and decided what the hell. Rob is a very experienced driver in snow and ice as he goes snowboarding from Jan-Mar every year in Japan near his in-laws house. I knew I was in safe hands so off we went. We got beyond Nemuro itself but then could get no further as the roads past the "city" were closed due to drifting snow on the roads. So, we decided to drive around the "city" (well, a large town really) looking for waxwings and ended up getting stuck in a snow drift. Firstly we had to dig someone else out of a snow bank before attending to our car. It was not pleasant and my face was sore...frostbite fears soon took hold of my frozen mind. I couldn't see past my nose but finally, after much digging and pushing, we got the RV out and away we headed back to the Minshiku for breakfast. Matsuo-san was very worried about us and we apologised for not calling him to tell him we were okay. This part of Hokkaido is the coldest in Japan and it was having the worst snow in living memory. This meant that we couldn't get to a lot of places we wanted to and we couldn't go walking in the fields, forests and sometimes the beaches due to the snow. In some places we walked it was unbelievable. I was walking across a field to get to the frozen bay of Furen to see if the Steller's Eagles were on the ice when I was suddenly chest-deep in snow and couldn't get out. In the end, I had to crawl and drag myself out but it was all good fun. Actually, standing on the frozen sea, looking at Steller's eagles fly around in a snow shower, with the wind howling and some crazy Japanese fisherman sitting in a tent fishing was a high point of the trip to the Nemuro penisula for me.

A change of plan on Saturday after the snow storm, saw us drive further south and west along the coast to Kushiro, an area famous for the Japanese Crane. It is one of the natural wonders of the country and it was one not to be missed. We birded down the coast, looking on in continued amazement at the frozen rivers, sea and cliffs. How anyone lives here in winter is beyond me. It was such a bleak, flat, desolate place in many areas and oh so cold. We stayed in a really nice hotel near Tsuri-mura, nestled in the hills on the south coast. An visit to an onsen that evening to wash away the weariness and cold of the day, was well earned. There was something quite peaceful and relaxing, sitting in a natural hot spring outside, with the temperatures at -9C, ice forming on one's head...it was really good. The open fire in the hotel, with burning logs was nice while having my last ciggie of the day. An early start the next morning saw us standing at a roost site for the Japanese cranes. It was -18C!!!! I couldn't believe how cold it was but we stuck it out for 90 minutes, watching the sun rise over the hill, creating a misty, eerie scene over the river, listening to the Cranes call and seeing them dance in the dawn light...a truly fantastic memory to cherish.

After the cranes, we headed up north again, driving through the hinterland and mountains to Rausu. Passing by volcanoes with steam (for want of a better word) rising form the peaks was tremendous and incredible. The scenery changed so drastically driving to Rausu, from mountain valleys to flat plains but with one constant...snow, ice and blue skies. Rausu is a fishing port on the very nothern part of the east coast and it was COLD. All the harbours were frozen over, the bays were frozen, as were the rivers and the roads. Mountains rose up from the frozen sea, themselves covered in snow and ice. As we drove across the sea front at dusk, White-tailed and Steller's Sea Eagles were coming into roost on the mountain sides. Alighting on trees in peoples back yards, calling and grappling with each other. I was in heaven. All I could do was look on in awe and wonder at these beautiful creatures, thinking how Jim would be speechless if he was here with me and Ciaran would just light a ciggie, sit down and shake his head in wonder. It was a moment I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Rausu, for me at least, was the brightest jewel of the trip. A beautiful coastal village sandwiched between the mountains and the sea. It left an indelible mark with me, something I will always have. I would dearly like to go back there again, not just for the amazing birds we saw (a Blakiston's fish owl that just blew me away), but the place itself. Truly magical. In summer,the most spectacular salmon run in Japan occurs here, so I was told. However, the salmon are not just hunted by eagles and owls, but bears also. I may have to reutrn to witness that. So it was with a heavy heart (and dodgy bowels and stomach) that we left Rausu and headed back for home. I felt truly rotten coming back on the Monday and it put a small dent in what was an amazing adventure, but not enough to tarnish the memory. That would be impossible.


Hokkaido is a must for anyone coming to Japan. I hope the photos can do it some justice and I just wanted to throw one picture of a White-tailed eagle in that flew just past me, as it is the best one I have processed so far. More photos will be posted on my photopage (see link) for you all to peruse at your leisure, birds included when I have time to process them!! I have probably left loads out but I am sure I will be talking about Hokkaido again soon...now back to my sick bed and the copious amounts of drugs I was given this morning.

Carmo's Diet: This week, I've mostly been living the dream....

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey fella - great to have ye back! the whole hokkaido scene sound amayzing if a little bit baltic - cannae wait for de birdy blog!

February 07, 2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger swan_pr said...

thank you so much for that great account :) I felt like I was right there.

I've heard the wind before, standing at the top of a mountain, as I plant my poles in the snow to give that last push before hitting the slope.

that sound did make a great soundtrack to your narrative. the pictures are fantastic too :)

again, thank you for sharing this. welcome back. take care of yourself :)

February 07, 2006 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Sounds like some place, shame about the 'flu! Hope you had a good birthday in spite of that, it sounds like you did anyway.
H

February 08, 2006 5:58 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Col, sorry about y'day eveing, my internet connection went! I'm still at home with the flu today so will be skyping it later on if you're aboot!? Processing bird images today for a bit.

Swan_pr, thanks for dropping by and thanks for the compliment. it was an amazing trip. i will have to go back soon. will post on you blog today...

H, cheers fella, flu ok, just keeping warm and drinking lots of water/juice/tea. A great b'day on Sunday, watching the Cranes and seeing Asian Rosy Finch made it. Rausu also made my day more spectacular. Loved that place. Will mail you later.

February 08, 2006 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shots there carmo-san. And welcome back!Didnt lose a toe in all that cold i hope?
Not one for the cold me!Give me a glorious white sandy beach, gorgeous brown skinned girls in grass skirts, and sooty, bridled and fairy terns flying round the place!
Although i have to admit id sell a kidney to go to antarctica and gawk at penguins and seabirds for a few months.

But for now let the hula girls image sustain us both ay?

Pariah

February 08, 2006 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
I presume that 'twas Ratface et al that had stayed in that gaff before ye got there? Know himself and Dennis Weir at least were meant to be out there, don't think that Agent Orange went with them.
H

February 09, 2006 3:24 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

P, no toes lost just flu. Wish I could go to Antartica for a month or two...now that would be heaven.

H, DW and JD were there..saw there name in the guest book. Is Agent Orange Big Willie? I didn't know he was out there.

February 09, 2006 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MC,
Agent Orange is merely my own self-coined nickname for Big Willie, it hasn't stuck as yet. Was pretty sure that he hadn't travelled with the lads to Japan.
H

February 09, 2006 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday little man! Hokkaido sounds and looks absolutely amazing on par with a frost coated Swansea I would say! Will mail soon oh yea Liverpool have slumped again lost 2-0 to charlton last night

February 09, 2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach purses, burberry outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses cheap, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, louboutin, coach factory outlet, air max, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet store online, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, kate spade handbags, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, air max, nike shoes, coach outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton handbags

November 14, 2014 9:25 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

birkin bag, longchamp, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, uggs outlet, reebok outlet, north face outlet, north face jackets, babyliss pro, ugg australia, ugg boots, nike huarache, nfl jerseys, new balance shoes, beats by dre, ugg pas cher, canada goose, p90x, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, mcm handbags, canada goose, vans shoes, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, nike roshe run, mont blanc, canada goose, marc jacobs, valentino shoes, ghd, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, celine handbags, canada goose uk, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, ugg, rolex watches, instyler, soccer jerseys, hollister

November 14, 2014 9:38 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home