Sunday, February 12, 2006

A quiet weekend...

I went back to work on Thursday, still feeling groggy and not quite with it. Whatever drugs the doc gave me made me sleepy and somewhat wired at the same time. I finished the drugs on Thursday night and felt on the mend when I woke on Friday morning. A few beers with the boys and a new colleague on Friday night was a nice way to end a pretty shite week. I went to the gym on Saturday morning just coz I felt like it. I took it easy there and soaked in the bath afterwards for a bit...that was nice and relaxing. I think most of the lads give me space in the bath due to my tatts...it's a bit of a taboo here, as I'm sure I've said before. That afternoon I shwed our new colleague around the area we live, the shops, stores, dry-cleaners and whatnot. Stayed in last night, editing photos and went to bed early. Well, I am 33 now so I have to watch the body even more, keep it fine tuned!! As if...

As for today, it being the day of rest, rest is indeed what I did. I woke early, as I do, and spent the day working on stuff for the CBR, editing my photos from Hokkaido (most of which are poor I'm afraid...cold hands means shaky images) and doing a couple of Su Doku puzzles to break the day up. My folks gave me the foreign press collection (The english Times) of So Doku and I must say it's addictive. I missed my train stop on Thursday night coming back from work as I was caught up in one of them. I like them. I'm such a geek...

I also had my first journalistic article, including my photographs, published this week but I have yet to see a copy of it. I am hoping that the magazine will post a couple of copies out to me. It's a birding article folks in Wings magazine, the glossy that Birdwatch Ireland publish 4 times a year. A budding photojournalist?? Here's hoping, although going by my Hokkaido photos, I doubt it.

As my birdy pics and scenic photos are not quite finished yet, the suspense shall continue to build for another few days while I finish the editing process and write the "Bird Post". I promise the bird post shall be up by the end of the week...well, I hope.

I just want to leave you with one of my favourite poems from WBY. If anyone has a copy of his poetry and doesn't want it, my letterbox will gladly accept it!!

Carmo's Diet: this week, I've mostly been eating drugs, chicken and vegtable juice.

Carmo's Birds: blurry and distant

Carmo's Birds for Byrdy: Jessica Alba

The Stolen Child
Where dips the rocky highland
Of Sleuth Wood in the lake,
There lies a leafy island
Where flapping herons wake
The drowsy water-rats;
There we've hid our faery vats,
Full of berries
And of reddest stolen cherries.
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world's more full of weeping

than you can understand.

Where the wave of moonlight glosses
The dim grey sands with light,
Far off by furthest Rosses
We foot it all the night,
Weaving olden dances,
Mingling hands and mingling glances
Till the moon has taken flight;
To and fro we leap
And chase the frothy bubbles,
While the world is full of troubles
And is anxious in its sleep.
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world's more full of weeping

than you can understand.

Where the wandering water gushes
From the hills above Glen-Car,
In pools among the rushes
That scarce could bathe a star,
We seek for slumbering trout
And whispering in their ears
Give them unquiet dreams;
Leaning softly out
From ferns that drop their tears
Over the young streams.
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world's more full of weeping

than you can understand.

Away with us he's going,
The solemn-eyed:
He'll hear no more the lowing
Of the calves on the warm hillside
Or the kettle on the hob
Sing peace into his breast,
Or see the brown mice bob
Round and round the oatmeal-chest.
For he comes, the human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
From a world more full of weeping

than he can understand

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Sean Bourke has asked me to tell you that he was very impressed with your article in Wings magazine: unfortunately, he forgot to bring the mag along when I met him today, and I have yet to see it myself.
I'll have to dig out me school poetry book for ya, seem to recall some Yeats in that!
H

February 13, 2006 3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright Carmo-san!
I have to say that i HEARTILY agree on the Jessica Alba front there me lad! My god its like we have some sort of bond!
We are talking the entire box set of dark angel, Sin city and the Fantastic four on DVD here boy! I have yet to see that diving movie she made however...so im not a true fan ...yet!

William butler yeats is ok. We dont mind that.
Emily dickinson is better tho...and she was a birder....well....a dude...but still!

Yes isnt tattoos a sign of Yakuza involvement over there?
;)


Got great spotted woodpecker in dublin yesterday....ooooh yeah!

Pariah

February 13, 2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Carmo said...

H, tell Sean I appreciate the compliments. I too, have not seen it but hopefully i'll get a copy in the post some day soon. I remeber Yeat's poetry in that book...what was it called again, Impressions?? The name escapes me. Hope all's well.

Pariah, have Sin City on DVD, damn fine movie. Love the whole graphic novel feel to it. Used to be a big fan of the graphic novel in my teens, early 20s. Never realised she was in Dark Angel though....nice wan on the GSP...saw plenty of them in Hokkaido last week :)

February 13, 2006 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well frank miller is the man!!...a bit obsessed with the seedier side of city life...but still the man!
check this out.

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20060207.html

Says it all about him really.
If you like frank miller...get your hands on Batman: Year One. A good read that!

Yes i am a nerd.

Pariah

February 13, 2006 11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all,
Foley: whether or not you're a nerd, am I to understand that you've already ticked the Wood Duck? Sure I've seen those at the Lough, and Black Swan at Tackers too!
Mark: can't remember what the book was called meself, just remember that it had a funny design in blue(?) on the cover, and that, when it was originally published, Patrick Kavanagh or some other long-dead guy was still alive (no year of death given for him in any case).
Of course, as you can guess by the above post, 'tis just a little biteen boring over here at present: normal service has been resumed when it comes to de weather (though 'tis sunny as I type this)....
H

February 16, 2006 1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. Woodduck OML. (if yee can have madarin, yellow legged gull, caspian gull, carrion crow and a heap more of ganky birds and splits then i can have wood duck!) ;)
Besides...its a clear message that im not awaiting any RBC decision.;)

Pariah

February 16, 2006 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah well, no skin off my nose what anyone else ticks: of that list, of course I have yet to tick Caspian Gull here, haven't ticked the Barrow's Goldeneye (and mightn't do so even if it is accepted!), would gladly remove Mandarin if everyone else did (and might do anyway) and remain to be convinced of the logic behind splitting the crows and, perhaps, the two teal.
You maintain that your decision to tick the Wooden Duck shows an independence of thought: this may be so, but I would equally claim that my decision not to travel for this or the Balalaika Teal would equally indicate independence of thought....
Anyway, we're only on about shite like this because it's dead quiet otherwise, many of us have had enough of the winter already and there's nowt good on de box!
H

February 17, 2006 12:22 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

H, you make me laugh fella. Fair play for sticking to you guns. Good man. Oh yeah, I think the book was called Expressions...I think Paddy Kavanagh was still alive when we were studying it. The Planters Daughter...great poem

Pariah, wooden duck is a wooden duck. Tick away to your hearts content. There are obviously no rules anymore!!! I leave the country and it goes to pot....I'll have to come back to sort it out.

February 17, 2006 11:31 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home