Saturday, August 20, 2005

My first Japanese Twitch...Asian Dowitcher

I got an email from an English guy, Neil Davidson, whom I went birding with perviously, telling me that an Asian Dowitcher had been seen in Osaka on Thursday. Naturally, as they are a globally threatened species and one I have never seen before, I was eager to see it. I headed out this morning to go the Nanko Bird Sanctuary which between getting 3 trains, took me the bones of an hour to get to. It was worth it though as not only did I get the Dowticher, but I picked up another lifer...Long-toed Stint!! There was a supporting cast of Terek Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint, Pacific Golden Plover, Mongolian Plover, Kentish Plover, Little Ringed Plover and Grey tailed Tattlers, as well as the assortment of egrets, cormorants, fan-tailed warblers and swallows. It was interesting to witness a Japanese twitch, as most people there were of the semi- or fully-retired age, and with muggins here, tattoos and all getting excited with them. I think they thought I was a bit mad and not quite suited what a birdwatcher's appearance in Japan would be...

The sanctuary was nice, the usual caper with observatories is that they are always designed incorrectly, in this case the windows were wrong and there was a big black band of wood going across the exact point of where the telescope would be viewing...painful, but it's a global thing from what I hear.

Am off birding again in the morning so am off to drink a beer and listen to some Gil Scott-Heron....remember, the revolution will not be televised

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey fella - pic much better!! Even I felt charmo'd! But i tink you need to make it a tad smaller as its currently affecting the look of the page (all text moved to below intro bar) - think yer photo is just a tad too wide.

your haul of waders sounds awesome! Mebbe japanese birding ain't so bad eh? good luck with the pratincole tomorrow. This morning me & claire twitched a northern bottlenose whale that has been hanging around this wee cove near castletownbere the last 2 days but we dipped - its gone! However, Jim was there yesterday with de whooley and got good footage - the bollix!!

August 20, 2005 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Excellent birds, need a few of those wader species myself (the dowitcher, Long-toed Stint, Mongolian Plover and Grey-tailed Tattler)...all are possible over here....
Won't be staying the week at the Bridges, but was up there today (de Foley found a nice Wilson's Petrel close in, year tick for Andre), and aim to get some seawatching done in the week ahead anyway.
H

August 21, 2005 5:57 AM  
Blogger Carmo said...

Col, thanks for that, I'll make it smaller so it'll be grand again. Everything's in it's right place on my computer so let me know when i rejig it if it's back to normal. No Pratincoles today but a couple of nice ones which I will post later on, including a photo or two. Mad about the dolphin, that's 2 in the space of a month...must be a record. Pity you dipped (coz you is a tart) but hey, it's not on my list. My cork list is 250 by the way :)

H, nice wan on the Wilson's, glad that gaylord got it, and tell him I called him that (Andre you'll probably read this anyway ya langer). Not to worry on the Fea's there's still plenty of time, it isn't September yet.

Talk to ya later

August 21, 2005 6:02 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, gucci, swarovski, parajumpers, lancel, moncler, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, baseball bats, ugg, links of london, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, coach outlet store online, moncler, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, karen millen, air max, oakley, vans, rolex watches, hollister clothing store, iphone 6 cases, moncler outlet, louboutin, ugg, converse, moncler, canada goose, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, timberland boots, hollister, ray ban, converse shoes, pandora charms, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler

November 14, 2014 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Cara Menghilangkan Bekas Jerawat said...

This article is interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing. And let me share an article about health that God willing will be very useful. Thank you :)

Obat Pelancar Haid paling Ampuh

Cara Membersihkan flek di Paru-paru
Cara Menyembuhkan Nyeri Punggung

May 23, 2019 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home